Fit Bit for Christmas?

Options
2»

Replies

• ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I got one too! Also confused. I went to work and walked around a bit and said I burned 2000+ calories... No way!
    I work out and do cardio and never burn that much.

Also confused if I do an elliptical workout, do I enter it into MFP? Or just let Fitbit add it? Lol
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Away s add exercise on MFP the two will synchronize and show on both bit and MFP app. As far as that calories count no making no sense don't quite understand that one yet.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I got one too! Not going to sync it with MFP but will be interesting to see cals burned and HR, especially when I quit smoking after NY :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit hr. Also today bought myself a h7 polar strap. Huge diff in heart rate. Max hr on fitbit 155. Max on h7. 184. I was running on treadmill. During this time. Also as I got sweaty fitbit showed blank fpr heart rate

There are a number of challenges with optical HR monitoring that mean it can be less reliable than ECG monitoring. Sweat, skin tone, arm hair, or just not being tight enough can all contribute to measurement errors.

In terms of whether 155bpm or 184bpm is more meaningful, that depends on effort. I'll comfortably run 12-13 miles at around 150-160, but can exceed 200 for sprint intervals. Only you know which is more representative of your effort.

Personally I think HR on something like a Fitbit is a waste of time in most circumstances, regardless of whether it's optical or not. You can't relate it to anything else, so it's meaningless data.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ashbee03 wrote: »
    I got one too! Also confused. I went to work and walked around a bit and said I burned 2000+ calories... No way!

What kind of work do you do?

As upthread if it's something that involves a lot of arm movement then you may get a very high false positive reading.
    Also confused if I do an elliptical workout, do I enter it into MFP? Or just let Fitbit add it? Lol

Assuming that you have the Fitbit platform synchronised with MFP then log it in Fitbit and let it flow through. That allows Fitbit to account for any steps measured during the session and avoids double accounting.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Had mine for a while. Maintained for a month now. But put on weight over Xmas so it will be handy again to lose weight.
    Wouldn't be without it. Love it
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

What kind of work do you do?

As upthread if it's something that involves a lot of arm movement then you may get a very high false positive reading.

Assuming that you have the Fitbit platform synchronised with MFP then log it in Fitbit and let it flow through. That allows Fitbit to account for any steps measured during the session and avoids double accounting.

Just a word of caution, you don't always get the number of steps on an elliptical to match the calorie burn. That may be a bonus for some people. Some activities also don't lend itself well to steps. If you have the right time and date, the activity can override the information in Fitbit for that specific time.0fvd6bghlopa.png

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Your Fitbit is counting all the calories you burn during a 24 hour period, even when you are sedentary. It resets and starts over again at midnight.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I ordered myself a fitbit which should be here in a few days but after reading the posts here I may send it straight back as they don't sound as if they're very reliable. I was looking forward to knowing what my daily calorie burn is and also knowing what my HR is while working out...... not much point in having one if there not very accurate.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Abakan wrote: »
    I ordered myself a fitbit which should be here in a few days but after reading the posts here I may send it straight back as they don't sound as if they're very reliable. I was looking forward to knowing what my daily calorie burn is and also knowing what my HR is while working out...... not much point in having one if there not very accurate.

There are many success stories of people using fitbit and being satisfied. Check the return policy and at least give it a try before returning it. Its accurate enough for many people to reach and maintain their goals.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options

Step trackers in general, not specifically FitBit, are useful for many people. Accuracy is all about what's meaningful and representative. They're an aid, and have to be used with understanding of what they're telling you.

So the question of useful depends very much on what type of training you do.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit Flex for Christmas. It's still getting to know me (from what I've read about it needing a few days' data in order to be more accurate) but the calorie estimations seem close to what I've been maintaining on for the last few years. I quite like the sleep tracking (because I get a kick out of looking at graphs).
  • csylviareed
    csylviareed Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got a Charge HR too and used it just 1 day so far. With the syncing I've been putting my activities (cardio session, walks) into MFP but not sure how much may be double counted.
    Do you guys think the fitbit adjustment refers to how much you are burning just in general or is it showing all I burned in my workouts?
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    I got a Charge HR too and used it just 1 day so far. With the syncing I've been putting my activities (cardio session, walks) into MFP but not sure how much may be double counted.
    Do you guys think the fitbit adjustment refers to how much you are burning just in general or is it showing all I burned in my workouts?

If you enter the right time it shouldn't double count. If the time zones or time is different between fitbit and mfp, then that can cause an issue.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

Your Fitbit is counting all the calories you burn during a 24 hour period, even when you are sedentary. It resets and starts over again at midnight.

Yes, this. Log your food into MFP not the Fitbit app. Track your exercise on the fitbit app and not MFP and eat the calories that MFP tells you you have left.
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Step trackers in general, not specifically FitBit, are useful for many people. Accuracy is all about what's meaningful and representative. They're an aid, and have to be used with understanding of what they're telling you.

So the question of useful depends very much on what type of training you do.

Well put. Just a Aid to help with goals, The rest depend s on you,,,,,