Ironing is exercise, right??

Options
How many calories do I burn doing 2 hours worth of ironing? And don't anybody tell me that it's not exercise coz I was sweating buckets. LOL :smile:

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Haha, wear a HRM next time and you'll know :wink:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this is a joke right?

if not, your first ever post = epic failure with a laughable factor of 10...

maybe you are sweating from the heat of the iron on your face?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    How many calories do I burn doing 2 hours worth of ironing? And don't anybody tell me that it's not exercise coz I was sweating buckets. LOL :smile:

So let me guess, you never use to iron before joining MFP?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Sweat is not indicative of calorie burn. I'm sitting in my office and the A/C is out...it's 90* in here and I'm sweating my *kitten* off..but it's not exercise and I'm not burning any more calories than I otherwise would sitting here.

I would imagine the you iron regularly? It should be included in your NEAT...it's a normal activity...yes, today maybe you ironed a little more than usual..but whatevs...it isn't exercise.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Is sitting in a sauna considered exercise?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    this is a joke right?

You are too bad, but this is very funny.
  • kezza8888
    kezza8888 Posts: 75
    Options
    this is a joke right?

^^ This I am afriad....in the nicest possible way, dont kid yourself about what is and isn't "exercise" especially if you plan to EAT your calories back - it will only lead to disappointment in terms of results! Daily chores and things should be factored into your TDEE (e.g. sedentary lifestyle....)

SORRY :-( x
  • anglhart
    anglhart Posts: 5
    Options
    ndj1979, was your post really needed?

housework does count as some type of workout, although not much, but I say take what you can get. All that ironing has to at least count for some type of arm workout...AT LEAST!
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You are warming up before you start, right?
    We can't have you tearing a rotator cuff or developing some sort of repetitive stress injury from this.
    I wish I could iron, but I just don't have the time for a regular exercise routine like this.
    Keep up the great work!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    This kind of ironing?

tumblr_m2g08dKYkp1r9xvu7o1_500.jpg
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You are warming up before you start, right?
    We can't have you tearing a rotator cuff or developing some sort of repetitive stress injury from this.
    I wish I could iron, but I just don't have the time for a regular exercise routine like this.
    Keep up the great work!

Also, make sure to switch hands when ironing. You don't want to develop a muscular imbalance.
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    LOLOL

you were sweating because of the heat. lol.

but if u insist, measure your heart rate, then try to get your heart rate on the treadmill/elliptical up to that number and see how many calories u burn per minute
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This kind of ironing?

tumblr_m2g08dKYkp1r9xvu7o1_500.jpg

This
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Lol at people who think this is srs

Good one OP +1
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    this is a joke right?

I thought the big 'LOL' and smile on the end made it obvious it was a joke..
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    about 300.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I think you're all being unkind. The lady is...er.....mature (no offence, I'm maturererer....) and spent 2 hours ironing, I guess she would definitely have burned some calories, so don't mock. Any physical activity is good (even the amount of typing I do in a day because of my job, but I don't count that!)

OP, I doubt anyone can put a figure on it, but an HRM would be the answer.
  • denk81
    denk81 Posts: 4
    Options
    FINALLY !!!! The answer I was looking for. Someone posted 300 calories. I'll take that.

Thank you. :wink:
  • markbolch
    markbolch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Okay I will be the Jerk.. No its not exercise in my mind and even though I am a Man I do my own ironing and it is tedous hard job.. BUT its something I also did when I was Fat. I only consider exercise to be things I didnt do in my previous life style. Before I decided I didnt want to be Fat I didnt Jog / walk long distances at a very fast pace / Ride a bike for miles and miles or lift weights.. to me thats exercise. If it was something I always did before to me anyway its not exercise its just life that I also did while I was gaining massive weight. Granted it burns more calories that siting on the sofa but the iron isnt that heavy and it dosent keep your heart rate up for an extended period of time unless someone is a kick butt and take names kind of ironing person.. Just sweat dont count.. I could turn off the AC and sit on the couch and sweat.. But I cant blame you for trying.. :smile: