Any tips for losing the last 10 pounds?

Options
I am a college student who lost 22 pounds between March and June this past year. Over the summer I was really trying to get the last 10 pounds I would like to lose off but really struggled with it. I weighed and logged all of my food, planned meals in advance and was going to the gym 5 times a week. I switched over to maintenance at the end of the summer when I went back to school and have been maintaining for the past few months.

I am 5'4", 140 pounds and I have my calorie goal set at 1230 and exercise 3-4 times a week doing rock climbing (I usually spend about 2-3 hours at the gym, half of which is spent climbing and the other half resting between climbs). I only log half of my exercise time to account for overestimation and try to only eat half of that number back. I'm getting back into logging everything and measuring all of my food on a food scale now that I am home.

Aside from logging everything I eat, is there anything else I should be doing to help me reach my goal? People always say the last 10 pounds are tricky so I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to get them off.

Does my calorie goal seem okay?

Does the amount of exercise I am doing seem okay?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• bigsicklittlesick
    bigsicklittlesick Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I wrote this a few years ago when I was a-very active on here. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/468624/those-struggling-to-lose-the-last-10lbs/p1
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I wrote this a few years ago when I was a-very active on here. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/468624/those-struggling-to-lose-the-last-10lbs/p1

This is a question asked so often, because it's frustrating when you stop losing. This reply lays it out nicely--thank you, so I hope alot of others read it. She explains what happens in an easy way for the masses (that's most of us) to understand. I second what she says, because I'm there myself.
  • stephchadz
    stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Thank you so much! Very informative! I guess I will just have to keep my logging accurate and continue trying.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eating only 1230 calories a week with four workouts a week at three to four hours each does not sound like enough calories to sustain said workouts…just my observation.

As far as losing the last ten pounds, instead of focusing on an arbitrary scale number maybe you should consider how you look and feel and go from there. I would suggest eating in a small - 200 calorie deficit - and then getting into a structured lifting regimen like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine.

I woud also suggest making sure that you are using correct MFP database entries….
  • stephchadz
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    eating only 1230 calories a week with four workouts a week at three to four hours each does not sound like enough calories to sustain said workouts…just my observation.

As far as losing the last ten pounds, instead of focusing on an arbitrary scale number maybe you should consider how you look and feel and go from there. I would suggest eating in a small - 200 calorie deficit - and then getting into a structured lifting regimen like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine.

I woud also suggest making sure that you are using correct MFP database entries….

What would you suggest for a calorie goal then? My workouts only last about 1 - 1 1/2 hours each (I specified above that half my time at the climbing gym is used to rest between climbs). I'm not sure where you got 3-4 hours from.

As for the scale number, my doctor recommended I get within middle of healthy weights for my age and height.

I appreciate you advice about lifting but I have looked into it many times before and don't think it's right for me. Part of why I climb is because I find traditional gym workouts very boring.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    stephchadz wrote: »

What would you suggest for a calorie goal then? My workouts only last about 1 - 1 1/2 hours each (I specified above that half my time at the climbing gym is used to rest between climbs). I'm not sure where you got 3-4 hours from.

As for the scale number, my doctor recommended I get within middle of healthy weights for my age and height.

I appreciate you advice about lifting but I have looked into it many times before and don't think it's right for me. Part of why I climb is because I find traditional gym workouts very boring.

is 1230 the number that MFP gave you one for one pound per week loss?

• stephchadz
    Options
    Yes. Aside from the gym I don't move around much as I work in an office and sit in class all day. I've always been unsure what to set as my activity level so I just leave is as sedentary.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    If you are not interested in lifting or anything like that then I would suggest just keep doing what you are doing. Log everything, use correct MFP database entries, etc..

do you use a food scale? If no, then I would suggest getting one.

if you are working out an hour and a half four times a week that would put you in the "lightly active" category.

I would also make sure that you are hitting macros = protein/fats/carbs and getting adequate nutrition. Most recommend setting your macros at .6 to .85 grams of protein per pound of bod weight; .45 grams of fat; and fill in rest with carbs.

• stephchadz
    Options
    Thank you for the info about macros! I have always wondered about this.
  • bigsicklittlesick
    bigsicklittlesick Posts: 55 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

^yes! If you are not using a food scale, start!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Use a scale!!! for every bite you put in your mouth

I am 5.5" 50 years old and exercise about 6 times a week ( about 300 calories a day)
    And eat 1850 calories a day and still lose weight...slowly but i do.

the closer to you lower your weight ( so closer to goal weight) the more accuracy is important...your deficit is smaller because you lost weight your body need less.

So really get accurate by weighing in grams and ditch the cups and spoons AND serving sizes!

95069916.png
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Keep logging everything and don't make your calorie goal too aggressive. I feel like 1230 May be a bit too aggressive. Do you always feel famished?
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    High intensive interval training, enough said
  • stephchadz
    Options
    Keep logging everything and don't make your calorie goal too aggressive. I feel like 1230 May be a bit too aggressive. Do you always feel famished?

Typically I do feel a bit hungry but I am unsure what else to set my calorie goal to. Any suggestions?
  • stephchadz
    Options

^yes! If you are not using a food scale, start!

Yes! I do use a food scale! Just got back into using it after returning from school.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Typically I do feel a bit hungry but I am unsure what else to set my calorie goal to. Any suggestions?

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

This is assuming you are aiming towards the middle of your Healthy BMI Range, or thereabouts.
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Steph, how often do you weigh in?

Honestly, there's not much about your current routine I'd change up. You're weighing your food, exercising (and climbing is GREAT exercise; I boulder myself!), and seem on the right track. The problem with that last 10lbs is that it comes off so slowly it's easy to get discouraged and feel like the scale isn't moving (especially if you weigh in weekly or fortnightly). I'm in my last 10, too, and what's helped for me is weighing in every day and using an app like Libra (or a site like TrendWeight) to input my daily fluctuations. Whether it's up a pound or down a pound, I put it into the app. Seeing the downward "trend" on the scale, even if it's in small increments, is very encouraging. Best of luck!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

This is assuming you are aiming towards the middle of your Healthy BMI Range, or thereabouts.

Where does this come from. Is it broscience from the forum folklore? Every medical recommendation (webMD, government websites, etc...) and research study I can find has no magic scale like this. A 200lb person with 14lb to lose has more than enough fat on their body to lose 1-2lb/week. A 175lb person who needs to get down to 100lb shouldn't be losing 2lb/week, as it is above the 1% bodyweight per week recomendation.

I seriously want to know where this comes from because the scale makes no sense at all to me.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    The last 10lb use the same exact process as the first 10lb. They are not tricky, eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight. There are many reasons why someone may find the first 10lb easier, but that doesn't mean anything changed in the actual process. Set your goal somewhere under 1% of your body weight per week, and if you are using MFP's method, then eat back your exercise calories. If you find your weight loss (over a 6-8 week period) isn't matching expectations, then make adjustments as needed (more accurate logging, slight decrease in calorie consumption) and continue on.

Eating 25% of your exercise calories seems like an excessive cut (half the time and then eating half back is only 25%). I'd suggest eating more of them, but if you aren't losing weight, then you are probably eating more than your 1230 goal anyways.