Fitbit vs. Garmin activity trackers

Options
Hi everyone! I'm hoping to buy an activity tracker soon. I was wondering what problems or successes everyone has had with the Garmin or Fitbit brands. I'm also curious how easily each of these sync with my fitness pal! Thanks!

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivofit2 that I'm really happy with. It syncs pretty well though on occasion I will have to try a couple of times. The Garmin Dashboard syncs easily with MFP as well so I haven't really got any complaints there either. I chose my band because it has a user replaceable battery that only needs replacing about once a year and it's waterproof so I can shower with it. If I have to take it off to charge, shower, wash dishes, etc, I won't wear it consistently so that was a consideration for me. I like that I can see the time, date, step count and daily goal right on the band. I can also wear a separately purchased heart rate monitor with it and see that info on the band (though the calorie burn you have to look at on the sight after you sync.) I'm very pleased with it and would make the same choice again.

My daughter has a Fitbit charge (I think it's that one?) and she's happy with hers. She can see her steps on the screen, thinks it's fun that it gives her little motivational comments from time to time and likes the FB interface. She doesn't use MFP so I can't say how well that works but the reputation is that it's pretty stable and people like it. She does have to take it off to charge it but she's good about putting it back on so it doesn't bother her. She does get irritated when it occasionally runs out of juice on her when she's in the middle of work though. I think if she were to do it again she'd probably choose the Garmin. She works shifts where she gets 30,000 plus steps so losing out on the credit for that really ticks her off. :smiley:

You just need to think about what you want from the band and choose the one that fits your needs best. I think as far as reliability, Garmin and Fitbit are pretty neck and neck. I haven't used FB's interface so I don't know how it compares to Garmin but even with Garmin, I mostly use MFP anyway. Either one will adjust your calories here if you set it up to do so, or you can turn that part off.
  • diafox0
    diafox0 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's super helpful!!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Garmin has much better reporting. Fitbit has much better challenges. I think Fitbit sycs slightly better with MFP and I like how it tells you how many calories you have left as you go through your day. Garmin could be better at that. I haven't been able to easily interpret the calorie burn provided and estimate my remaining calories. With Garmin you can focus on much more than steps at the lower models.
  • scubamarkp
    scubamarkp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I Love my Garmin Fenix 3. It tracks everything to the T
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    also, many garmin products are waterproof.
    i love my Vivosmart.
  • diafox0
    diafox0 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    i love my Vivosmart.
    I got a Vivosmart! Is there any way to display only active calories not all of them?
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Makes a lot of sense to me, don't know why they don't have a better view - either active calories or calories remaining based on MFP consumption.
  • debsfran
    debsfran Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had the Polar H7 but have gotten sick of the chest strap. so opted for the polar A360, but as much as i did the things I wanted it to unlike the Polar H7 it did not sync with MFP. I then switched to Fitbit charge HR but quickly realised it was just a fancy pedometer. So have now opted for (waiting delivery) of my Garmin vivosmart HR. feeel free to add me on Garmin Connect (Debsjeav) - more friends the merrier :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I had the Vivofit (entry level model) and just upgraded to the Vivoactive. Wrist HRs are just not accurate enough for me yet and the chest strap doesn't bother me. I'm loving my upgrade, the burns I'm getting now are much lower (and I used a chest strap before too!) so I think it's more accurate and therefore much better in helping me hit my weight loss goals. I also really like the interface and data from my workouts. And the built in GPS is another reason I upgraded, no need to lug my phone with me to get more accurate distance details. I use MFP to track calories and it shares that data pretty reliably.

I don't have experience of the Fitbit but have had friends complain about it to me recently.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit Flex for 2 years and recently replaced it with a Garmin Vivofit2 when the battery started to need charging every day.

My thoughts:
    • Any tracker with a wrist HRM will not be very accurate. Not worth the extra money IMHO
    • Garmin has an optional chest strap HRM for when you are doing cardio
    • Both appear to be reasonably accurate with their calories burned estimations
    • Both are comfortable to wear
    • Vivofit is a bit bigger and clunkier
    • Vivofit runs on a watch battery. No charging needed
    • No Fitbit models are water resistant (the older Flex's were). I spend a lot of time in the pool. Garmin is water resistant to 50 meters
    • Both websites give the info you need, but I find Fitbit to be a bit more user friendly
    • Fitbit syncs with MFP better than Garmin, but both are decent
    • I like the info on the Vivofit2 unit itself. Steps, miles, calories burned, time, and date. You can also set it like a stopwatch. Flex only showed a little light for each 20% of step goal completed
    • Flex vibrates when you reach your step goal. Garmin beeps which I rarely hear.
    • Fitbit will sync with any smartphone. Garmin will with any IOS but only some Android. It does not work with my Nokia

I have been happy with both, for different reasons.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I had a Fitbit Flex for 2 years and recently replaced it with a Garmin Vivofit2 when the battery started to need charging every day.

My thoughts:
    • Any tracker with a wrist HRM will not be very accurate. Not worth the extra money IMHO
    • No Fitbit models are water resistant (the older Flex's were). I spend a lot of time in the pool. Garmin is water resistant to 50 meters
    • Both websites give the info you need, but I find Fitbit to be a bit more user friendly
    • I like the info on the Vivofit2 unit itself. Steps, miles, calories burned, time, and date. You can also set it like a stopwatch. Flex only showed a little light for each 20% of step goal completed
    • Flex vibrates when you reach your step goal. Garmin beeps which I rarely hear.
    • Fitbit will sync with any smartphone. Garmin will with any IOS but only some Android. It does not work with my Nokia

When I first asked about the Windows OS, Garmin said they had no plans to support it. However, I just saw that they have a release for Windows 10, so maybe in the future.

• earlnabby
    Options

My thoughts:

When I first asked about the Windows OS, Garmin said they had no plans to support it. However, I just saw that they have a release for Windows 10, so maybe in the future.

It works with many android phones (Samsug Galaxy, LG, Motorola), just not Nokia
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options

My thoughts:

I know, what I am saying is that they just now released it for Windows 10 so it works with Nokia windows 10 phones.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I read a few responses and I will chime in as I have used both Fitbit Charge and Garmin's vivosmart (with soft chest strap)..

For loosing weight and keeping up with food planning, fitbit has far the best app around. It also has the best sleep tracker around if this is important to you. The downside to fitbit charge is the hardware is not so great. I would do some research on this part before I buy. This is not touch screen only where the garmin is.. this is where the hardware is much better and the wrist strap issues are not there as they are with the Fitbit Charge.

Now the garmin, is ok as far as apps go for weight loss. If you exercise alot (run, cycle, etc..) and want enhanced apps to help you in this area, garmin is the one to get.. especially if you want to use an HR. The Garmin vivosmart is now out with the HR in the wrist band so you do not have to buy the separate hr strap.

This is wearable technology so no computer or app or syncing is perfect 100% of the time no matter the hardware or software you choose to use. Garmin does take a while to get figure out all the bells and whistles that it can do, but the basics are pretty much easy to learn right a way.

PS the sleep tracker on garmin is not very good but it will give you basic data like hours you sleep but the actual recording of sleep quality is only so so..

I hope this helps some...

PS, make a list of the things you need in a tracker. Then go out to google and look up the reviews for the best trackers and see which ones complete the list for what you need in a tracker. Also cost of the product and the quality of customer service at any company you buy from is important should you ever need to replace or repair it *fitbit has the best customer service.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    diafox0 wrote: »
    i love my Vivosmart.
    I got a Vivosmart! Is there any way to display only active calories not all of them?

you can choose what you'd like to display. options are under device>settings
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    diafox0 wrote: »
    i love my Vivosmart.

That's the total burn including BMR though right and not just the active calories?
  • DEPMOM
    DEPMOM Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ok I am having issues with my calories that my VIVOSMART HR reads and then inputting to the exercise log. I have looked under settings and can't figure it out
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    DEPMOM wrote: »
    ok I am having issues with my calories that my VIVOSMART HR reads and then inputting to the exercise log. I have looked under settings and can't figure it out

What exactly is it doing?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    DEPMOM wrote: »

What's the problem?
  • earlnabby
    Options

My thoughts:

I know, what I am saying is that they just now released it for Windows 10 so it works with Nokia windows 10 phones.

No it doesn't. That is the phone I have and it does not work with it. I contacted Garmin and they said that no Nokia phones work with their app.