Extra Calories in fried foods

How do you estimate the amount of additional calories is in fries foods? For example, I am wanting a piece of fried fish. I have already weighed my fish, already measured the amount of batter I'm using. How can I possibly measure the amount of cooking oil that is absorbed into the fish by frying? There just seems to be no way and Google is not helping me this time lol.

Replies

• daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    if you want to get real nitty gritty, measure the oil before you put it in the pan/fryer and then measure the excess when you're done frying. in theory, A - B = the amount your fish absorbed.

other then that, estimate a couple tablespoons and try not to stress about it? i don't tend to fry things for this exact reason, even though a good fish fry is just so beautiful.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Also don't put the fis in until the oil is ho. It stops it absorbing as much oil.
  • Thanks for the tips. Guess I'm going to just overestimate the amount used, log it, and not make fried items a habit. It's been 3 months since I had some. It's amazing how I would just batter up something, deep fry it, and not give it a second thought before I decided to do something about my weight. Those carefree days cost me dearly though.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited December 2015
    Fried foods are junk. Don't fry stuff! Boil or bake instead.