What's your breathing pattern for running?

2»

Replies

• MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    There's a pattern? I inhale through my nose, exhale through my mouth. I try to do a long breath in and an equal breath out. As I get fatigued or winded, any pattern or technique goes out the window. I just need air at that poinf.
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    I breathe 3 steps in and 2 steps out. I recently read an article about rhythmic breathing and found that it has really helped improve my stamina. I'm still a relatively new runner and switch between running and walking but I've found that I can go further when I maintain a pattern with my breathing.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    I tend to breathe in for two steps and out for three. But I've only been running for a few weeks, so I'm not sure what the norm is!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    In for 3 steps, out for 3. Uphill it's 2-2.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    It depends entirely on my pace. For a slower run it will be 4 paces in, 4 paces out; if I'm pushing it a bit maybe 2 in 2 out. Running hills is an altogether different story - I'm panting by the time I reach the top.

As long as you're exhaling fully carbon dioxide buildup shouldn't be a problem.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    I can't say - the minute I try to focus on my breathing, it goes completely out of whack. then I spend the rest of the run trying to get it regulated again. I also can not seem to get the breathing in through the nose. I'm a total mouth breather on the treadmill - in and out. Good thing I'm in the privacy of my own home. I've just recently started back at it so I'm hoping I can figure out how to regulate things better as my body becomes more accustomed to running.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    I dont pay attention to my breathing and have never bought into the controlled breathing thing. I run & breath as unencumbered and natural as I can. I let my body work as it was designed to. I dont have any problems.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Breathing is for pansies

lollerskates

to be honest, i've never thought about it. i just breathe in, exhale, rinse, repeat

i'm going to run today after work, now i'm gonna think about it i hope i don't trip n' fall :noway: :laugh:
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    In for 2 steps and out for 4 but if I'm running faster it seems to go to 2 steps in and 5 steps out.
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    The thing about breathing through the nose is that you can't get the volume you can through the mouth. And if I'm really pushing it, I want as much volume as I can get. Hell, I'd try to suck air in my ears if I thought I could get more into my lungs.

Breathing through the nose is a good way to calm yourself down, but if you want more air, breath through your mouth.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    I'm a total mouth breather. I think I breathe... in-in-in, out-out. Then on hills I think its more in-in, out. Or in-out in-out. Sometimes I blow out more forcefully than in. I have noticed that I breathe in on alternating feet. But it isn't a conscious effort.
    I kind of sigh somewhere in the beginning third of my run and then it seems like everything settles in and hums along. Maybe if I could control it better, that smooth running feeling would happen sooner.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    I am also a profound mouth breather. Part of that is that my nose, structurally, cannot take in enough air for me. Part of that is just wanting to gulp as much air as possible. I've also been a master "hyperventilator" since childhood, and so never thought I'd be able to pull off running. When I discovered the longer in breath, it truly transformed my capacity to run. I went from hyperventilating through my barely 5k, to now being able to (not easily but without hyperventilating or panic) run 6 miles. I didn't learn it through Running on Air, but I'm sure it's somehow to be credited for how I learned about it. For me, it took a lot of practice to move towards the longer in breath, but it's been a game changer.
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    I can't say - the minute I try to focus on my breathing, it goes completely out of whack. then I spend the rest of the run trying to get it regulated again. I also can not seem to get the breathing in through the nose. I'm a total mouth breather on the treadmill - in and out. Good thing I'm in the privacy of my own home. I've just recently started back at it so I'm hoping I can figure out how to regulate things better as my body becomes more accustomed to running.

Ooooh me too me too, except I run outside! Mouth-breather all the way. I HAVE swallowed (or at least caught in my throat) bugs. Yuck. But if I try to breathe through my nose it's an absolute disaster.

Except... I have found that it helps me to take a few deeeeeeep breaths through my nose when I'm going up a hill. Not too many or I'll pass out, but one every once in a while seems to steady my breathing and keep me from gasping. It sounds backwards but it works for me.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    I've tried to use those kinds of breathing patterns b/c I get wicked side stitches and everyone says it's a breathing thing that causes them, but I just can't seem to do it. Then by the time I'm hurting I'm usually doing a sort of pitiful "gasp-gasp-pant-wheeze-moan" thing. I have however recently started chewing gum b/c someone told me that can help prevent side stitches. I thought it sounded ridiculous but I finally tried it out of desperation and now I hardly get them. No idea why or how it helps, maybe it's a placebo -- couldn't care less as long as I have less cramps when I run.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    I think I would totally choke myself if I tried to chew gum and run at the same time,LOL! But glad that you found something that works. The root of my stitches was eating a meal within an hour or so of running. I can have a light snack a 1/2 hour before but I try not to eat a full meal unless I have two or more hours before my run.

And, nobleammomite, I have considered logging the calories of the bugs I have eaten, but more experienced friends informed me that they are calorie free.