Lifting -- Machines versus Dumbells/Barbells

Options
For those who lift, is there a difference in outcome between using the circuit lifting machines and dumbells/barbells? I'm not a serious lifter, though I'd like to be, so I tend to gravitate toward the machines, also because I mainly work out alone.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dumbbells will provide better results as you will work more muscles (ie stabilizers) and are a very good segway into using the bar. I like them more than machines as it allows for more natural movements as opposed to fixed tracks. The exceptions being cable machines.
  • GregJourney
    GregJourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Do what feels most comfortable to you. You can start with the machine and could always switch to dumbbells. I workout alone to and like to use dumbbells. I am taller than most people and find the machines limit my range my range of motion. As a beginner you will see results using either the machine or free wiehgts. I just recommed doing what is within your comfort level.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You mentioned wanting to become a serious lifter. No serious lifter uses machines as their primary focus. DB/BB-based movements will be the way to go if that is your goal.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Generally, machines suck because they force your body into unnatural movement patterns. Stick to free weights primarily.
  • reetgreenthumb
    reetgreenthumb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »
    Generally, machines suck because they force your body into unnatural movement patterns. Stick to free weights primarily.

Is this why it feels really awkward on some of them? I thought it was my form being crap but some of the machines feel really uncomfortable with the range of motion.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Actually, machines force you to use the proper form if you adjust it to the proper locations indicated on your body. DB/BB's force you to use controlling muscles to maintain the proper form. That is one reason why they are better because you'll end up using more muscle to do the exercise, thus stimulating more growth and burn. If you're heavy lifting, gaining muscle mass and strength, then DB/BB are the way to go. If you're just concerned about volume, the machines may work for you. It all depends on what your end goal is. None of these choices are bad, it just depends on how you're trying to shape your body. I personally don't like machines for me because I like to force my body to do all of the work and don't want assistance from a machine to keep proper form.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Barbell and dumbells >>>> machines

Not even close, really.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    The husband is talking about purchasing one of those all body multifunctional machines. Years ago he had a weight bench with free weights and that thing scared me when he would bench press! Would you not recommend one of these machines? He 63 and has knee problems and can't run anymore just wants to build up lost muscle.. Any advice?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »

Is this why it feels really awkward on some of them? I thought it was my form being crap but some of the machines feel really uncomfortable with the range of motion.

Machines are designed to fit the population within a certain size and range of motion/mobility. If you're outside that range they could be uncomfortable.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I used a machine about a year ago and put on some muscle while doing so, and did not do much work with free weights or bodyweight exercises at that time. As one would expect with gaining muscle, I definitely noticed strength gains. Meanwhile, lately I've been doing mostly bodyweight lifting and haven't made as much progress, though that may be due to other factors.