Gained 50 pounds :(

Options
This has been an extremely difficult year. Finalized my divorce, lost my job in September, etc etc and with all the stress I basically stopped giving a *kitten* and have gained almost 50 pounds :/ I am really pissed about it, and the fact none of my clothes fit anymore. I need help.

I decided that I am going to have the rest of my fun this month, and start fresh in the new year. I plan to do JM's 30 Day Shred and follow the portion control with 21 day fix. I know 50 lbs is a lot, and if I were to set a goal it would be by 4th of July. Does that see mike a reasonable goal?

Sorry for the rant, having a pity party tonight.

Replies

• lovatt79
    lovatt79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you've had a sh*tty time of late. 50lbs before July is doable so long as you're motivated. I find it best to go with it when your mind is set on it, i know its tempting to wait till the New Year for the clean slate aspect of it but if your head is in the right place you should go for it right away.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiff,

Since you want to start in January, July 4 is approximately 26 weeks from January 1. In order to lose weight in that time span, you would need to lose approximately 1.9 pounds week. Here's a couple of obstacles to think about:
    • Weight loss is not linear. You may lose some weeks, not others.
    • Weight loss slows down as you get closer to goal because you are close to a healthy weight and you have less to lose.

The only thing required to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Exercise helps to get that deficit, of course, but you still need to make sure you eat less calories than you burn.

You do not have to do any special diet, unless your doctor tells you to for a medical reason. Any dietary plan or way of eating will work as long as you stick to your calorie deficit.

I suggest you start now by entering your stats in MFP to lose about a pound a week, weigh your food, log every single thing you eat, log only cardio exercise and eat about 60-75% of those calories back. Make sure you choose accurate food entries from the food database (you might have to do your own research). Work to stay within your calorie goals.

Good luck, and happy new year!
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I've been here for awhile, and have done it before and I know I can do it again :)