Single person meal ideas

Options
Jezg83
Jezg83 Posts: 36 Member
edited December 2015 in Recipes
Hi all,
I'm finding I'm getting bored of my meals I'm making.
Can anyone please help me out with some recipes/ ideas for dinners and lunches.
I'm at uni during the day and cook for myself.
Any help would be appreciated

Replies

• pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    I spend all day at home and usually make wraps if I'm not heating up a soup.

I have wraps that are high fiber, low carb and 90 calories. 1-2 tbsp hummus spread across the surface of the tortilla, large lettuce leaf in the center, fill the leaf with meat, tomato slices, relish, cheese. Then wrap it up. Low caloriez

I've started making variations with cooked kale, bacon ranch dressing etc etc
  • Jezg83
    Options
    Thank you for the tip, might start making some wraps. I do enjoy wraps which is a bonus lol
    Bit of a silly question but how do you log it? Do you log it all seperate?
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I cook for myself often. I usually make a pot of some sort of soup each week. Then i have dinner and lunch a few days that week. When it is pretty outside I will grill chicken, shrimp or steak and assorted veggies on the gas grill. I just recently discovered sheet pan meals. You can cook an entire meal in the oven on a sheet pan. Most of the recipes I have seen can easily be made for one. I made sheet pan chicken fajitas from Domestic Geek. They were really good. https://youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8Tc4ncJgI
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,656 Member
    Options
    I like making biggish batches of something, then either freezing for later use, or keeping in the fridge for daily use. Often these are things I make kind of plain - say, lentil soup with just some onions & salt - then doctor up in various ways so I'm not eating the same thing over & over. Example: Make that soup, freeze it in single-portion bowls with snap-on lids. When I warm it up, I can throw in chopped greens, or cut-up veggies, or salsa, or if I ate meat, I'd add that then. Frozen things work out well for carry-along lunches, as long as there's a microwave.

Right now in the freezer, I have pea soup (plain), sweet-potato peanut bisque, cauliflower/mushroom/white bean soup, cheese pie, butternut squash lasagna, healthy muffins (a batch of corn muffins, a batch of whole-wheat buttermilk raisin-walnut) . . . .

Or I'll make a big batch of roasted vegetables (mixed, or just one thing), and keep it in the fridge. During the week, I can eat it as a side, use it to dress a salad, put in on a wrap or flatbread "pizza", put it in a omelette or scrambled eggs, etc.

Specific dishes I make frequently include tostadas, stir fries (veggies & a protein), soups (examples above) or chili, scrambled eggs with various inclusions, deviled eggs (with greek yogurt instead of mayo). I tend to have standard dishes like this, but change up the exact ingredients for variety.
  • Jezg83
    Options
    Thank you for your ideas, will definitely be giving these a try. I try and do a cook up on weekends and freeze them but end up being so high in calories and feel very disappointed. Can anyone suggest a good website or cookbook for low calorie easy meals
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Do you have a microwave and a freezer? That really does make a difference to my answers for food ideas.
  • Jezg83
    Options
    Not at uni, don't have access to microwave or fridge.
    Yes at home I have both
  • Bonny132
    Options
    I make mini pizzas out of pitta breads and serve with salad

Chicken breast fillet, marinade overnight and pan fry, serve with steamed veg

Omelettes with salad

Stir Fries

Spicy chicken with rice

Chicken wrapped in a slice of bacon with steamed veg and sweet potatoe wedges (or rice)

Noodles with veg, spices and chicken/egg/beef/duck (whatever leftover meat at hand)

Steamed veg: Brussel sprouts with crispy bacon, aspargus with parma ham, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, baked head of cauliflower covered in spices, sweet corn

Lunches: vegetable sticks with salsa/low cal cream cheese AND
    wrap with salad, spices and chicken/tuna/cheese

Salad with egg and chicken, tuna and potato, prawns with or without dressing

Cold pasta salad with plenty of meat

Couscous with veg, spices and whatever meats you have at hand
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I second wraps. My schedule is all over the place and I usually end up throwing everything in a wrap...(any leftover protein,fresh veg, dressing/hummus) so many options. Oh and yes I log everything seperately.
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Leftovers are great in wraps btw, chilli and rice in a wrap is just pure yumminess
  • Jezg83
    Options
    Wow thank you so much everyone for the yummy and wonderful ideas. Will be definitely trying some of them out.
    Didn't think of logging wraps separately, sounds like a much better idea. Will have to get some practice in that one
  • Jezg83
    Options
    Thank you for the website, have checked it out and it's full of great ideas.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me and check out my recipes. They are all around 300 calories, and they mostly reheat and freeze very well, so you can make bigger batch and save some for later.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Jezg83 wrote: »
    Thank you for your ideas, will definitely be giving these a try. I try and do a cook up on weekends and freeze them but end up being so high in calories and feel very disappointed. Can anyone suggest a good website or cookbook for low calorie easy meals

My favorite websites for recipes (at the moment):
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/
    http://www.cookinglight.com/
    http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/
  • Jezg83
    Options
    Thank you.. Will defiantly check them out
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options