gaining weight and don't know why

I have been gaining weight for about a 2 months and I am eating 1600 calories a day and under can not work out because of a bad knee any ideas.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,246 MFP Moderator
    Have you been logging all of your food and drink (even those nibbles here and there of holiday turkey or cookies)? You don't have to work out to lose weight, you just have to be accurate and honest with yourself in your food diary. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    that tells us nothing.

age, height, starting weight, are you logging your food, are you weighing your food.

i maintain on 1600 cals if i am not working out but im also 5'1, 37 years old and female.

without knowing details, i will say what i (and everyone else) always say ... you are eating more than you think you are.
  • chetza
    chetza Posts: 7 Member
    yes I do measure and weight food I'm 66 years old and 6'2" 4 years ago I had weight lost surgery I was 400 pounds now I am 210 want to be 200 or a little under gained 12 pounds in last month or two also I was working out 3 to 4 times a week in July I had part of my right lung removed no cancer this is when everything started.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    What is your age, height and current weight?

I ate 1630 calories yesterday. But other than a 30 minute walk I was a total slug. According to my Fitbit I only burned 1493 calories (TDEE), for a surplus of 137 calories. If I kept that up I'd gain weight rather quickly.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    chetza wrote: »
    yes I do measure and weight food I'm 66 years old and 6'2" 4 years ago I had weight lost surgery I was 400 pounds now I am 210 want to be 200 or a little under gained 12 pounds in last month or two also I was working out 3 to 4 times a week in July I had part of my right lung removed no cancer this is when everything started.

its possible theres a medical reason given your health history BUT i would make sure you are accurately WEIGHING (not just measuring in cups or eyeballing) your food first. the OVERWHELMINGLY VAST MAJORITY if the time, when people aren't losing (myself included) its because of logging issues. Open your diary and we can take a look and see if that may be the issue.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    I have a bad knee (chondromalacia patella, advanced osteoarthritis) and I workout 6-7 days per week. There is a lot you can still do exercise wise with a bad knee.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    you have the right calorie goal. the question is are you truly accurate or is there a medical reason?
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    4 years ago I had weight lost surgery

Maybe check in with your surgeon. The body adapts and some types of surgery are less effective over time.

Duedeonal switch has the best long term effectiveness and is a near instant fix for Type 2 diabetes which is why I researched it (family history). Decided I wasn't up for malabsorbtion because I hate taking pills and don't think I would keep up with a bunch of supplements outside of a real life or death situation and I'm not there at this time.

LapBand is least effective and has some of the worst complications. RNY seems to fail over time and vertical sleeve gastrectomy is restrictive only, falls somewhere in the middle with average long term maintenance of about a 50 pound loss.