What if BMR and TDEE-20% are the same?

Options
I've had my fitbit for about 3 weeks. What I'm finding is that my TDEE (according to fitbit) is a couple hundred calories lower than the online calculators. I tend to burn less during exercise than others who log the same activity as well (acknowledging others have different body types and stats, of course), so what fitbit is saying doesn't surprise me, though I know it's only an estimate, just like the calculators.

But what I'm finding is that my BMR and TDEE - 20% are basically the same figure. I'm wondering if maybe, like my TDEE, my BMR is also lower than the online calculators?

I thought there would be a larger spread between the two figures, but it seems like it's really only about a 50 calorie difference.

I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this as well, and the overall low calorie burn.

Replies

• natski_83
    natski_83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to know this. I did my calculations and my TDEE -20% is actually 50 calories below my BMR.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Same for me, its probably the case for people who have less than 30 pounds to lose or are petite.

If TDEE-20% is below your BMR, do TDEE-15% instead so you can maintain as much lean muscle mass as possible.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    ^^Yes. Ladynocturn has it right.

A 20% deficit should not be used when you have less than 30 pounds to lose. Go with 10-15%, or make up the difference with more exercise. If you used the "sedentary" setting with your calculations on the online calculators, change it. Almost no one can legitimately use sedentary.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^^Yes. Ladynocturn has it right.

A 20% deficit should not be used when you have less than 30 pounds to lose. Go with 10-15%, or make up the difference with more exercise. If you used the "sedentary" setting with your calculations on the online calculators, change it. Almost no one can legitimately use sedentary.

Agreed. You're most likely at the point where a 10% deficit is the right number for you