Is 30 minutes of strength training effective?

Options
I'm new to strength training. I've come across a few 30 minute workouts that you're supposed to do several times per week. Is 30 minutes enough? Is it more about doing the exercise with good form rather than doing more exercise for longer?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can get a lifting session in in 30 mins. Depends on your goals though. It'd be easier doing a strength program in that time frame rather than hypertrophy program. Check out ICF or stronglifts for a couple lifts a week and can be done pretty quick. They are also great programs
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Enough for what exactly? And yes, imo form is more important since you wouldn't want to hurt yourself.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I think it can be ! I only have about 30/40 mins of gym time on weekdays so that's all I do as well. Proper form is very important IMO.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would focus on the content of the program/workout when determining effectiveness. That, and your goals (I.e., what you're hoping to get from lifting.)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Strength training isn't like cardio. If you're lifting to the point of fatigue and working various muscle groups, 30-40 minutes is plenty. You're also supposed to incorporate rest days in between. May people will do 30 minutes on one muscle group one day and do a different muscle group the next -- for instance, arms and chest one day, shoulders and back another, legs the next.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    There's RESISTANCE training and then there's STRENGTH training. Lots of people think because they are lifting weights, they are strength training when in truth they just may be using resistance in exercise with lots of repetition. BodyPump is like that. That would be in defined more as "muscular endurance training" than "strength training".
    In relation to the question, yes one can have an effective strength training workout in 30 minutes. However it's NOT going to be training the same muscles several times a week (with the exception of something like 5x5 Stronglifts since you're only doing 3 exercises per workout).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png