FIt- The Final Frontier

Options
I'm on a one-year mission to get down to my healthy BMI, and I'm considering getting a Fitbit. I'm trying to give myself all the best ammo for this battle! I think I want one with sleep tracking, because I know how important sleep is to the weigh loss journey. Was just wondering if that feature works accurately. Anyone have any less-than-satisfactory experience with it?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP
    I suggest you start with basics.
    Read the MFP "Most Helpful post" at the start of this message board
    Buy yourself a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and log it at MFP.
    If you eat at a deficit (Calories burned > calories ingested) you will lose body weight.
    Exercise is for fitness and health, eating at a deficit is needed to decrease your weight
    As far as a Fitness tracker s concerned, they are nice to have. They are not absolutely required for weight loss.

I have a Fitbit Charge HR, my employer gave me one as part of a Health Challenge at the office. It is good to find your TDDE.
    A proper night sleep is a healthy practice. I do not need the Fitbit to tell me I have only slept 4 hours last night. My body complains loudly enough. My daily goal is 7 hours sleep. I am unsure about direct relationship with increased body weight or lack there of.
    In summary, join MFP Fitbit group. You will find it at the Group option. Dark Blue banner above. Read the postings and decide if it will help your goals.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit One for about 1.5 years, right after I started my journey. I like the clip on style. It has been a key tool to help keep me motivated and accountable to myself and others for moving. I used the sleep tracking a few times but didn't really see the point--I knew I was having sleep issues without it. Fitbit tracks your movement during the night, so it's an estimate or approximation. You can't really consider it to be "accurate" and scientific data. The only ACCURATE way to gather sleep data is using an EEG and formal sleep study.