Homemade Electrolyte Drink?

Options
What is usually in these commercial sports drinks? I will need to water fast for 72 hours for a test and my electrolytes tend to be problematic. I have no access to commercial sports drinks, and want something to supplement them once the fast is over because I know from experience that food alone doesn't do the job well.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    I had read somewhere that coconut water contains electrolytes, maybe look into that.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    1 tsp each of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in 2 liters of water gets you most of the common electrolytes. Be careful not to overdo the Epsom salts--it IS a laxative at higher doses!

Tastes terrible so some sugar free drink mix like Crystal Light helps.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Oral rehydration salts for 1 litre : 3.5g sodium chloride, 2.9g trisodium citrate dihydrate, 1.5g potassium chloride, 20g glucose.

Best miss out the glucose if you're fasting for a test.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Powerade zero is practically water. Gatorade has alot of calories. I just eat a banana and drink some water. Should be relatively similar. Plus a banana fills you up. Oh and coconut water is pretty good but, what is wrong with straight water if you're worried about being dehydrated? edit i didn't read my bad. Coconut water rocks get some of the c20
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Epsom salts and baking soda seem easy enough to get. I can't have anything that has calories, so coconut water, glucose and crystal light are out. Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I was going to not have anyting during the fast but supplement on the day I'm allowed to eat, but I will ask my doctor if salts are allowed during the fast itself since they provide no calories, because I'm really not looking forward to the muscle twitches and heart palpitations.