What is the importance of knowing your heart rate?

Obviously we need a heart beat to live...but what is the importance of knowing your heart rate?

I just got a Fitbit charge HR and have found out my resting heart rate is about 60 and my highest heart rate when working out is about 180.

I am young and healthy, so does my heart rate really matter?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Barring medical issues, you really don't need to know it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    It helps if you are aiming to improve cardio fitness so being able to get your heart rate up and sustaining it at that elevated level will increase your fitness level. Having numbers to aim for gives you a good indication of where you stand. Otherwise, it is not necessary to know it unless you need to monitor it for health issues.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Some will tell you that knowing your HR can help improve the reliability of your calorie burns, but this isn't *usually* the case.

Knowing your HR can help with certain types of HR-based training, but that doesn't apply to most MFPers.

By and large, it's another data point, which data junkies like myself enjoy analyzing. But in the end, it doesn't usually mean that much.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    You don't need it

But I use it throughout my workouts and it really chaps my hyde when the thing craps out on me and displays 00 or "check heart rate transmitter". :angry:

I like it for feedback during the workout. On days I'm being lazy and whiny and I think I'm working oh so hard but my heart rate is just in the 150's, it nudges me to quit whining and do a bit more. When I'm really killin it, I do like to see my heart rate up there. For interval type exercises I just like seeing the feedback throughout all the way from warm up low to doubled over high

But no, I wouldn't say you have to have it in order to exercise effectively :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited December 2015
    Training at different intensities help improve different aspects of your fitness. Different intensity zones are many times defined by a percentage of your maximum heart rate.

Something the general population aren't really interested in normally and are reserved for the more serious athletes.

It is a great way to track fitness improvements.
    For example: 3 months ago it took such and such amount of effort to raise my heart rate to XX and now I have to work this much harder to get it to that heart rate. Also, as your fitness improves your resting heart rate should drop.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    There are uses for knowing your heart rate.

Your fitbit will use that information during a workout to more accurately calculate calories burned (provided all of your information is kept up to date (weight, resting heart rate, max heart rate).

Heart rate is also very important when exercising. You can workout in different heart rate zones for different lengths of time to get different training results (steady state, tempo, maximum, and even recovery).

If you exercise, heart rate is a very important factor, and very useful tool to reach fitness goals.

In cardio, heart rate and time are the two major factors to determine training effect.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited December 2015
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Training at different intensities help improve different aspects of your fitness. Different intensity zones are many times defined by a percentage of your maximum heart rate.

THIS times a million!

If you don't know your zones, here's a quick and easy guide.

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

My guess is that the OP's HR of 180 is probably up in Zone 4, 5 or 6 and could not be maintained for a very long duration compared to Zone 1, 2 and 3. My comments are based on Coggan's 6 training zones which is a pretty commonly used system for runners/cyclists.

Google Coggan's training zones to learn more.
  • OldAssDude

THIS times a million!

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

My guess is that the OP's HR of 180 is probably up in Zone 4, 5 or 6 and could not be maintained for a very long duration compared to Zone 1, 2 and 3. My comments are based on Coggan's 6 training zones which is a pretty commonly used system for runners/cyclists.

Are you talking about power zones?

I think there are only 5 heart rate zones.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited December 2015
    bcalvanese wrote: »

THIS times a million!

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

You can use a 5 HR training zone system. There are, in theory, 6. Depends on if you are reading Coggan or others.

Here's Coggan...

Heart Rate Zone.....Percent of LTHR

Active Recovery ......<68% LTHR
    Endurance..............68% to 83%
    Tempo....................83% to 94%
    Sweet Spot..............94% to 95%
    Threshold...............95% to 105%
    VO2Max.................105% to 220 BPM

Here's an "other"...

Heart Rate Zones:

Zone 1 = Recovery (<71% of AT) – uses the aerobic system
    Zone 2 = Endurance (72-81% of AT) – uses the aerobic system
    Zone 3 = Tempo Pace (82-91% of AT) – uses mainly aerobic system
    Zone 4 = Threshold Pace ( 92-102% of AT) – uses mainly aerobic system with some anaerobic system
    Zone 5 = Anaerobic Pace (103-110% of AT) – covers zone where aerobic converts to the anaerobic system.
    Zone 6 = Maximum aerobic capacity (Too short to record HR) – anaerobic and CP systems

And yet another "other"...

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/heart-rate-monitor-training-for-cyclists-28838/

HR zones

Having established the key numbers (max HR and resting HR) you're now ready to work out your training zones. There are lots of calculators on the web and, while many people use five training zones, I prefer the six-zone system prescribed by the Association of British Cycling Coaches. Fletcher is also a big fan of the six zones, although he points out that there is actually a recovery zone as well which is important. “If athletes are to perform well they need to recover well,” he says. “I monitor every session my athletes do and I can tell very easily when they need to recover and how long that recovery needs to be.”

Zone 1 (60-65% of maximum heart rate): For long, easy rides, to improve the combustion and storage of fats.

Zone 2 (65-75% of MHR): The basic base training zone. Longish rides of medium stress.

Zone 3 (75-82% of MHR): For development of aerobic capacity and endurance with moderate volume at very controlled intensity.

Zone 4 (82-89% of MHR): For simulating pace when tapering for a race.

Zone 5 (89-94% of MHR): For raising anaerobic threshold. Good sessions for 10- and 25-mile time-trials.

Zone 6 (94-100% of MHR): For high-intensity interval training to increase maximum power and speed
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    It's a data collection tool. How you use that data is up to you. For me, I like it to track my fitness progress. For example: My heart rate used to go up to 154 on a 3.5 mph flat brisk walk, now it only goes up to 136 walking at the same speed. Seeing progress that can be represented in numbers makes my results more tangible and prompts me that I'm ready to increase the average intensity of my exercise (incline in my case). I have also noticed that if my heart rate goes beyond a certain point I need a longer recovery and I can't perform as well the next day, plus I get extremely hungry afterwards, so I try to keep my intensity in check not to overdo it.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Even tho you are young, if you overwork your heart for prolonged periods of time it could affect you later on. It's important to know your body, and recognize when it's too much work for it to handle. For a lot of people it helps knowing heartrate to do so. I would say tho, if you are good in listening to your own body, and know when to stop, knowing your heart rate is not crucial.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited December 2015
    Yeah, it's some data regarding heart and vascular health, just like blood pressure is.

A RHR of 60 is the very bottom of the normal range, but it's common for those who are in good shape to be on the low end, and even into the 50s or 40s for elite athletes, because as the heart becomes stronger from cardiovascular training, it moves more blood with each beat and beats less often as a result.

Tracking your resting heart rate changes as you go through a cardiovascular training program can help you see your results - in general if your resting heart rate goes down over time but you feel fine, it just means your heart is getting stronger from exercise. In that sense, a low heart rate can often be a good sign. It would be a bad sign if you experienced symptoms like fainting, shortness of breath, or if your heart rate was very low for your activity level. For example, a heart rate of 50 for someone totally sedentary is probably a bad sign, but for someone who is very active and feeling great, it's probably a good one. 60 BPM is a good resting heart rate for someone of good cardiac fitness.

It's good to establish a baseline for what is normal for you, so you and your doctor can discuss what any major changes mean.

Heart Rate Recovery was mentioned, too. That means you get your heart rate up to 80% of maximum or so by a burst of intense exercise, and then you stop and sit down and calmly rest, and see how far your heart rate will fall in 2 minutes. The bigger the drop, the better your cardiovascular fitness. A drop of less than 20 beats per minute is abnormally low (and indicates a higher risk of cardiac events), a drop of 20-50 is pretty normal, and beyond 50 indicates good cardiovascular health, with higher recovery rates being indicative of even better health.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    You all are awesome! Thanks so much :)
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    @SingingSingleTracker

Exactly on track

OP

If you are training there is the need to know you heart rate. There is a different HRM for cycling and running.

If you are burning calories and just doing some cardio burn, knowing what you are doing and why you are doing it won't hurt.

Knowing which type of fuel your body gravitates toward at certain intensity levels is good too.

If you plan to make fitness a lifestyle change then learning about heart rates is more knowledge to empower yourself with.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Personally I find all of that to be spectacularly boring...
    Lol... this is me. I figure if I vapor-lock 20 miles into a trail run I will have pushed it a little too hard...

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Some will tell you that knowing your HR can help improve the reliability of your calorie burns, but this isn't *usually* the case.

Knowing your HR can help with certain types of HR-based training, but that doesn't apply to most MFPers.

By and large, it's another data point, which data junkies like myself enjoy analyzing. But in the end, it doesn't usually mean that much.

Agree with all of this. Oddly enough, I find my HRM most useful when I am doing endurance training. I have a tendency to get bored and want to push it, so the HRM helps me keep it low and slow.
  • OldAssDude
    bcalvanese wrote: »

THIS times a million!

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

You can use a 5 HR training zone system. There are, in theory, 6. Depends on if you are reading Coggan or others.

Here's Coggan...

Heart Rate Zone.....Percent of LTHR

Active Recovery ......<68% LTHR
    Endurance..............68% to 83%
    Tempo....................83% to 94%
    Sweet Spot..............94% to 95%
    Threshold...............95% to 105%
    VO2Max.................105% to 220 BPM

Here's an "other"...

Heart Rate Zones:

Zone 1 = Recovery (<71% of AT) – uses the aerobic system
    Zone 2 = Endurance (72-81% of AT) – uses the aerobic system
    Zone 3 = Tempo Pace (82-91% of AT) – uses mainly aerobic system
    Zone 4 = Threshold Pace ( 92-102% of AT) – uses mainly aerobic system with some anaerobic system
    Zone 5 = Anaerobic Pace (103-110% of AT) – covers zone where aerobic converts to the anaerobic system.
    Zone 6 = Maximum aerobic capacity (Too short to record HR) – anaerobic and CP systems

And yet another "other"...

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/heart-rate-monitor-training-for-cyclists-28838/

HR zones

Having established the key numbers (max HR and resting HR) you're now ready to work out your training zones. There are lots of calculators on the web and, while many people use five training zones, I prefer the six-zone system prescribed by the Association of British Cycling Coaches. Fletcher is also a big fan of the six zones, although he points out that there is actually a recovery zone as well which is important. “If athletes are to perform well they need to recover well,” he says. “I monitor every session my athletes do and I can tell very easily when they need to recover and how long that recovery needs to be.”

Zone 1 (60-65% of maximum heart rate): For long, easy rides, to improve the combustion and storage of fats.

Zone 2 (65-75% of MHR): The basic base training zone. Longish rides of medium stress.

Zone 3 (75-82% of MHR): For development of aerobic capacity and endurance with moderate volume at very controlled intensity.

Zone 4 (82-89% of MHR): For simulating pace when tapering for a race.

Zone 5 (89-94% of MHR): For raising anaerobic threshold. Good sessions for 10- and 25-mile time-trials.

Zone 6 (94-100% of MHR): For high-intensity interval training to increase maximum power and speed

Holy crap that's complicated!

I just use the 5 zone because they are even numbers.
    50-60
    60-70
    70-80
    80-90
    90-100

I mainly stay in zones 3/4 (zone 5 for shot times) for moderate to extreme workouts, and I use zones 1/2 for recovery workouts. Seems to work well for me, but I am not even close to an athlete. I'm just a regular old guy looking for the fountain of middle age... :)
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    My Fitbit HR says my resting HR is 56 after wearing it 2 days Im 35
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    For me, knowing HR has been a great training tool, especially when combined with the speed or power data on the bike or elliptical. Learning what numbers it takes to make my heart rate rise, understanding when not to waste energy, and knowing my thresholds on pace, comfort, and length of those two put me much closer to being able to hit my workouts hard when I want to. Using HRM also keeps me more mindful of what things will artificially or otherwise raise my HR when it's not really a direct energy output cause.

I think for cardio knowing heart rate is really a solid training point, and takes a lot of guesswork out of the picture.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

Your guide demonstrates how many people don't need to monitor HR and can instead monitor their perceived level of exertion. :+1: