Bulking without a gym?

Options
I'm just over 4 weeks into a bulk, but sadly my gym in York (north of England) is now under water with the awful floods that have hit the north of England in the past couple of days. It looks in a bad way, and will probably be some time before it's back up and running. Can I successfully run a bulk with some sort of bodyweight programme that I could do at home over the next few weeks, or would it be better to try and find a cheap gym to join in the meantime? Grateful for any thoughts. Thanks!

Replies

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    A few weeks won't hurt, but I wouldn't recommend going much longer than "a few". That being said, you could always just eat at maintenance in the meantime and run some sort of bodyweight program...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you can for a few weeks, but anything longer than that will not be optimal....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can. It's not ideal- not as well researched and honestly it's just plain harder. But it's absolutely do-able. Progression is all that is equired- how that progression is introduced to your body doesn't really matter. Lifting is the easiest- most efficient and most well researched/programmed method- but it isn't the ONLY method.

Check out Waldo's Site Strength UnBound- he does only body weight bulking.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I like You Are Your Own Gym, but I've heard Convict Conditioning is better for pure bulk. Both are available as ebooks at Amazon.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    There's a member (ex member?) on here who has his own site. His name escapes me (Waldo, I want to say?) but his site's called strengthunbound.com

He's an example of a guy who successfully bulked using calisthenics. You should check out his stuff. It's all about changing the leverage of movements to make them more difficult to perform, or finding close-cousins to hop to for the next progression. Progress rationally, get enough volume (and obviously) get enough food and you can build muscle with most kinds of resistance training, bodyweight included.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    jimmer- you are correct- Waldo- he's on NerdFitness as well- he isn't on the forums as much- but he's a none gym going bulker.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Reddit's Bodyweight Fitness community is geared exactly towards your problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/
  • jenbob1985
    jenbob1985 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks everyone I'll have a look at those options. Glad all is not lost!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there is also a You Are Your Own Gym DVD (I got it for Christmas)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    HA- I still get confused with my new avatar picture and forget that I commented or what I said- I need my damn minion back.