Antibiotics and weight

Options
So I'm getting over pneumonia and a sinus infection. I lost 5 pounds in a week because I had no appetite. Doc put me on antibiotics and I've gained 4 of the 5 pounds I lost. My appetite is better than it was though I'm still not eating a lot. My stomach hurts a bunch though and my digestive tract has been filled with excessive amounts of air. This 4 pound increase...digestive issues from the antibiotic or simply gaining back from eating nothing for a week?

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Both? Some of it will be water and food being in your system. The antibiotic I take for sinus infections makes me retain water like a champ, so that could also play a role.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I was totally hoping those 5 pounds would be the silver lining of an otherwise horrible week or two :smiley: ah well, what can you do. I took the last of my meds this morning--hopefully the GI tract will return to normal soon
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Ha! I get that and hope you're feeling better! =)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Gas has weight too. If you are gassy, you mentioned air, then that will add to water weight and food weight that you are seeing as well.

It'll pass with time and things will balance out again.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm mostly better--minus the GI stuff...yes, gas has been a MAJOR problem in my stomach and my chest. Its been awful. And stomach cramps. Glad this stuff is done.