Legs and Lower Body

Options
I really need some help or advice on how I can lose weight in my lower body. It seem like I'm only losing weight in my stomach area and seem like I'm gaining weight in my legs now. Last time I wore jeans I was a women 11/12 now I'm a 16/17.

What should I do? Should I add a leg day? What are some good exercises or videos that are good for legs?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Eat at a deficit, you'll lose.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Exercising the legs wont make them lose fat. You need a calorie deficit for that.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Eat a deficit.

As others have already said you can't spot reduce but if you want to exercise you can try running, walking, lifting some heavy *kitten* weights. There's also videos on youtube like fitness blender, blogilates, millionaire hoy.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You firm and tone your legs, but you can't spot reduce. Walking and swimming really help me tone my legs
  • hnyzthms
    hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You firm and tone your legs, but you can't spot reduce. Walking and swimming really help me tone my legs

@rosebarnalice how often do you walk? I have bad knees but I manage walking fine. so am looking at walking as an exercise for lower body. I can't swim so that out.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce as people have said, nor can you dictate where fat will come off by targeting exercise which is a shame but unfortunately true

Continue to lose weight and it will eventually drop fat all over your body

Good specific exercises are
    Walking
    Compound lifts ..squats, deadlifts, bench press, OHP
    Lunges, step ups, hip thrusts

But really anything that gets you moving ..if you like to run, run...swimmer swim, like team sports or gym work, yoga or Pilates just do it
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @AndrelleJohnson like others have said, you need to eat at a deficit to lose fat. Log your stats into MFP, get a food scale and liquid measuring cups and spoons so you know your deficit is accurate.
    And @rabbitjb says, find something you like for exercise.

@hnyzthms If you have bad knees and can't swim try aqua fit. It is a good all around workout that will help strengthen your knees for walking. You may want to check with your doctor for appropriate exercises for your knees before starting.

Cheers, h.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    As the others said, walk/swim/move. Also, take note that jeans are being cut differently than a couple years ago. Skinny jeans are from hades, as far as I'm concerned. 17" leg openings? On a size 14? What lunatic came up with that?
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yup what everyone else said, I also started doing squats, a month ago, every other day 3 sets of 33 and I can feel and see a difference in tone.
  • Ioras88
    Ioras88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Btw, on the topic of pants:
    The only good pants are the ones that fit.
    Some of the pants in stores are seriously from hell. I recently tried on a pair that fit me perfectly on the waist and hips but was a pain on the legs. Another pair fit loosely at waist+hips and still no deal with the legs. Whoever designed these must either be a man or have alien proportions.
  • hnyzthms
    hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    gothomson wrote: »
    Yup what everyone else said, I also started doing squats, a month ago, every other day 3 sets of 33 and I can feel and see a difference in tone.

@gothomson do you feel squats making a difference on leg shape/tone or you doing other exercise too
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do you take measurements? Measuring is a more valid indicator of progress than jean size. Clothing sizes have changed over the years, vary from one brand to the next, and among styles within the same brand. Jeans are the worst!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    hnyzthms wrote: »

@rosebarnalice how often do you walk? I have bad knees but I manage walking fine. so am looking at walking as an exercise for lower body. I can't swim so that out.

I walk at least twice a week--more when I can't swim--at a pace of about 3.25 mph for an hour.