Food before lifting

Options
im not sure wether this should be in this forum or the food/nutrition forum but what are people's thoughts on eating before lifting. I lift weights mostly in the morning and I don't eat before hand. If I lift in the afternoon I have had breakfast and lunch under my belt I was just curious to wether you should eat before in the morning. I'm in gym for 5am so up for 4am and a couple of people had suggested maybe eating even some oatmeal when I wake before I go lift. Is this essential or just preference?

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Most likely the answer is it doesn't matter and do whichever you prefer.

There are studies stating benefits of meal timing or not. I've seen a study saying meal timing makes a difference in well developed athletes for building muscle (doesn't matter much at all for beginners) and the biggest counter study relied on college athletes self reporting (real trustworthy there).

So, my stance is meal timing doesn't matter unless you are an upper echelon athlete that needs every competitive edge they can get, and even then the jury may be out. Otherwise, just get your protein and nutrients in and call it a day. Eat before exercise if you find it helps you, don't eat if it gives you problems, otherwise who cares.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

There are studies stating benefits of meal timing or not. I've seen a study saying meal timing makes a difference in well developed athletes for building muscle (doesn't matter much at all for beginners) and the biggest counter study relied on college athletes self reporting (real trustworthy there).

So, my stance is meal timing doesn't matter unless you are an upper echelon athlete that needs every competitive edge they can get, and even then the jury may be out. Otherwise, just get your protein and nutrients in and call it a day. Eat before exercise if you find it helps you, don't eat if it gives you problems, otherwise who cares.

Awesome thank you! :)
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I get a better workout if I eat a combination of carbs and protein (keep the fat low!) before my weights workouts. Every time.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Basically this. Personally, for optimum performance I think eating at least SOMETHING before (even if it's just a sugary sports drink) can be important. It depends on how much you care about that optimum performance though.