Shoulder Pain

Options
Hey all,
First of all, a disclaimer: I know I should go to the doctor, and I will, just have some time before I get there.
Anyway, a while ago (maybe 1-2 months) I hurt my shoulder doing (I think) overhead dumbell presses. Now, I cannot throw a baseball without pain, nor lift even a 20# weight in a press above my head. I can still bench press and do pushups, although I haven't really (maybe once a week), just because I don't want to cause more damage. Periodically, maybe 3-5 times a day, I can hear my bones clicking/rubbing together in my affected shoulder (right shoulder). This sucks!! I can still run, which was my primary exercise anyway, thankfully.
Anyone ever have an similar injury? Just trying to get a consensus and not-official thoughts..thanks!!

Replies

• chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you, but my shoulder is the same way. I think I hurt it throwing a softball (3 years ago), and it hurts when I play volleyball and lift weights and stuff. I guess it's starting to hurt again because I've become more active. My shoulder also cracks whenever I do arm circles or move it in certain ways. I would definitely be interested in this answer. I would hate to go to the doctor and have it be nothing, I don't want to be a hypochondriac. Plus I'm not sure I want to pay for a visit if it's nothing.

My cousin is going to grad school to be a PT and he works at an orthopedic institute place. I was describing this to him and he said I should see an orthopedic surgeon. We should probably see an orthopedic surgeon. He did say it could be arthritis, but I'm 21 and only played softball for 4 years. I am also interested to see if people have suggestions.
  • bigdaddyjbo
    Options
    You problably have a rotator cuff injury. Your rotator cuff is a collection of 4 different muscles which comprise your shoulder. Injuries can range from very minor (pain when only doing certain movements such as overhead presses) to severe (horrible pain all the time).

I am currently dealing with the same issue for my left shoulder.

Recommendation: See your doctor (dont just take my word for it :) but in the meantime, a regimen of ibuprofin and ice to help reduce the inflammation.

Also continue to exercise the area, just take it easy. Google "rotator cuff exercises" or something similar to see what are some good physical therapy exercises you can do.

On the down side, a rotator cuff injury takes a long time to heal. Dont get discouraged and continue to train. good luck
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    There are any number of things that could be going on. If you are hearing cracking, crunching, snapping, popping, etc the something is definitely wrong. Throwing a baseball/softball IS NOT a motion your shoulder was designed to do. I'm not an expert, nor am I a doctor, I'm just someone who had shoulder surgery in 2007 to repair damaged cartilage and I am repeating what my surgeon told me.

See a doctor, he will likely refer you to an Ortho Surgeon. IF you opt for surgery make sure to research surgeons available to you in your area and through insurance. I got lucky in that I was able to get a surgeon who also works on professional athletes.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I get kinks in my left shoulder. I came to the conclusion that's just how I'm constructed (my dad and brother have this, too). As long as I can do my exercises correctly and without pain, I don't really care anymore. I do try and warm up the shoulders especially prior to lifting. I like doing jumping jacks and 'windmills' forward and backwards to loosen them up. Certain jerky movements will pinch a nerve on my Lt shoulder, so I just try to be careful.