Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How much time would it take for me to lose 80lbs (36kg)?

Diamond201
Diamond201 Posts: 4 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Heys guys,

I am a 25 y/o female. I am 5'5 (165 cm) tall. My current weight is 200 lbs (90kg) & my goal weight is 120 lbs (54kg). My start weight was 230 lbs (104 kg) so I lost 30 lbs (14 kg) so far. I don't have any health issues, I am physically strong, I work out 2 hours every day, I eat healthy and I drink alot of water. I am wondering how long it would take for me this way to lose 80 lbs to reach my goal weight. I am not trying to speed up things in an unhealthy way, I am just curious. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for answering.

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    1 yr?? There are many variables here.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    How many calories are you eating and what's your caloric deficit?
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    Diamond201 wrote: »
    Heys guys,

I am a 25 y/o female. I am 5'5 (165 cm) tall. My current weight is 200 lbs (90kg) & my goal weight is 120 lbs (54kg). My start weight was 230 lbs (104 kg) so I lost 30 lbs (14 kg) so far. I don't have any health issues, I am physically strong, I work out 2 hours every day, I eat healthy and I drink alot of water. I am wondering how long it would take for me this way to lose 80 lbs to reach my goal weight. I am not trying to speed up things in an unhealthy way, I am just curious. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for answering.

Weight loss is entirely dependent on your calorie deficit. 80lbs in a year would be an almost reasonable goal if someone were to eat at an appropriate deficit, reducing the calories over time so that they weren't trying to lose the same amount of weight in week 52 that they were in week 1.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    80 lbs.?

To do it in a healthy way, about 60 to 80 weeks.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I lost 84 lbs in a year, but it was my first 80 out of 150, which generally is a more rapid rate of loss than the final pounds that get you to your goal. I'm also much older than you. Use the time frame as a motivator, but don't get do locked into it that you'll get discouraged if it takes longer.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    I would shoot for 18 months. You may get there a little faster or slower but that's a reasonable goal
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    I had lost 83 took me about 10 months
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Im 5'5", started at 236. Im around 173-175 now, after a year.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I've lost about 65 lbs in the last year (appx 5 lbs/month). This rate of loss has worked very well for me, without hunger/deprivation issues common in a more aggressive goal.
  • lapetiteguimauve
    lapetiteguimauve Posts: 52 Member
    5'9'' female. I lost 65 lbs this year. Started at 213 on Feb 26th of this year and now I weigh 158. I started out eating 5-6 smaller meals and doing lots of cardio and body weight training but now I do 30 mins of cardio a day, I lift pretty heavy and I practice Intermittent Fasting. I need to lose 30 lbs more and I'm thinking I will get there by summer. Take it slow, try to eat as healthy as you can without too much deprivation and try to make some calorie deficit each and every day. It might take you 8-10 months to do it safely. Good luck.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    it took me a year to lose 60lb with diet and exercise. definitely go for the long goal. I focussed on losing and average of 1lb a week and just accepted that anything worthwhile isn't gained quickly - one has to work at it. Plus if you take the long route your habits change over time and keeping health becomes what you are not something you do to lose weight/ tone up. That way once you have reached your goals it'll be easier to keep the new healthier, toned you!
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Took me about 410 days with a moderate calorie deficit and strength training.
  • bloody88
    bloody88 Posts: 120 Member
    I've used this site to do what you are asking.
    www.losertown.org/eats/cal.php
    It works somewhat the same as the MFP "5week estimation" when you complete the entry for the day.
    It's been preety accurate for me.
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    It's taken me 10 months to lose 70lbs, from 252 to 182. I think 80 would be do able in a year, but everyone is different.
  • Diamond201
    Diamond201 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all for answering.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 661 Member
    I would think the 60 pounds would take around 8-12 months, depending on your deficit. But the last 10-20 will take longer since you will be so close to goal.
  • vickypalfreyman471
    vickypalfreyman471 Posts: 50 Member
    I've lost 80lb this last year, only says 75lb on my profile as I didn't input my data until I had lost a few lb first! I'm 5'5" and started at 217lb. I had a diet break in August and over Xmas. Stuck at 1200 cals most days and occasionally ate back some excercise cals. You can do it if you really want to. 120lb is really low though, I'm aiming for around 126 lb and that seems low to me.
  • csjef5
    csjef5 Posts: 33 Member
    It took me 18 months to lose 80lb with a lot of cardio exercises.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    I've lost 80lb this last year, only says 75lb on my profile as I didn't input my data until I had lost a few lb first! I'm 5'5" and started at 217lb. I had a diet break in August and over Xmas. Stuck at 1200 cals most days and occasionally ate back some excercise cals. You can do it if you really want to. 120lb is really low though, I'm aiming for around 126 lb and that seems low to me.

I thought 120 seemed low too. I looked it up and it's about 20 on the BMI chart.

With regard to time frame, once you get that close to your goal and within a healthy BMI, you might not want to continue with an aggressive goal. My personal goal is 1lb per month because I'm close to my goal and I am focusing on maintaining muscle mass.

The way I look at it, it's a lifestyle change. So I don't set a time line for myself.
  • stephangw
    stephangw Posts: 2 Member
    took me 10 months to lose 105 lbs. lots of cardio 3-5 times per week. logging everything. no alcohol. and i am 60 yrs old. it can be done, with will power and persistence