Are gastic bypass patients sicker more often?

Options
If 70% - 80% of a person's immune system is located in the gut, are gastric bypass patients more prone to illness?

This is something I've thought about from time to time. Studies have shown the health benefits of garlic and oatmeal, for example. If part of the gut is missing, do bypass patients get less benefit from food than non-bypass patients? Or the good bacteria that lives in the gut. Do bypass patients have less of them because the tissue is gone and therefore have less immunity? Do all these things and other things too probably, mean they're sicker?

I understand the immediate benefit of rapid weight loss, but is it at the cost of the body's immune system? No one ever mentions it. Maybe it's a non-issue?

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Much gut bacteria are in the large intestine. It's only the small intestine (upper portion) that has the bypass. From what I've read, there's little appreciable difference in pre- and post-surgery immune responses.

For RNY patients, malabsorption of nutrients is an issue that requires constant daily monitoring. If not monitored, it can impact overall health, which will impact immunity. It can be handled, but does require daily vigilance forever as well as additional vitamin/mineral supplements forever.

For me, being fat was far more problematic than additional colds or flu.
  • emily706em
    emily706em Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Patients are not usually sicker but complications can come up such as ulcers in the stomach and things of that nature. The mal absorption issue is the most problematic and requires a diet to support the nutrients the body needs.
    My aunt has had a gastric bypass and she seems to have no immune changes post op, however certain things have changed for her, like a runny nose when she is full, minor things like that.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I don't know about immune response, but of the 4 people I know who have had the surgery, two of them close family, one has gained back a ton of weight and the other three have been hospitalized repeatedly even years after the surgery: repeated hernia repair, occasional blood transfusions and regular IV iron infusions, even with supplementing. If that isn't sick, I don't know what is.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Sicker I'm not sure, however malnourishment (lack of micronutrients) isn't uncommon due to the amount of food someone on GB can consume. This may be affecting their overall health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • chirofay
    chirofay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A nutrient dense diet would help, as the stomach is shortened, its ability to absorb nutrients from the food decreases. Absorption continues in the intestines, but can be altered due to the change in gastric juices secreted in the smaller stomach. This could have various results, some will have malnutrition issues, others can have decreased immune function as well as increased inflammation, others may have no symptoms at all. Each person is individual and should pay particular attention to how they are progressing so they can communicate that to their doctor. High grade supplements can help ensure you are getting the nutrition your body needs.