Spot me Breh!

Options

Replies

• maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    So today I was at the gym and some guy offered to spot me for benches and deadlifts. With benching I felt like all I needed was some help just lowering the bar from the rack. But this guy does more than that. From what I could tell, he kept his hands on the bar the whole time!!! I honestly felt like I was being helped too much and he was like "I wasn't doing any work". So do these reps count?!? Because it would be nice to think I benched 125 today lol.

I meant squat NOT deadlift!! I'm an adult I can pick my weight up off the ground haha. Side note: how the *kitten* do you spot for a front squat? I mean they're easier to bail out of but how does this work so I don't get yelled at at a globo for dropping weights?

• maranarasauce93
    Options
    I meant to saw spot for 1 rm squat not deadlift hahaha whoops!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry Julie, I smiled at that one. :)

That's okay. I still watch it to entertain myself. I've seen enough lifts go sideways on a number of people not to get bent out of shape about it.

That's MY biggest fear on platform. First meet, second lift, farted so loud you could hear it over the all the people watching and announcer on the PA.

Whoops.

Things happen on deads on the platform. Don't think I'm ever going to forget watching some of the puking and peeing that I've seen.
    Puking I get, but peeing?

I think it's a chick thing.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    While not lifting related, I've heard of runners peeing themselves during marathons. Crazy things can happen under immense pressure.... And when you CAN'T take a bathroom break.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Squat in a rack. No spot needed or used
  • maranarasauce93
    Options

Not if you are going to a 1RM. Then I am guaranteed to need a spotter, especially at a globo with signs all over the place that say "please don't drop the weights."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    I'm sorry Julie, I smiled at that one. :)

That's okay. I still watch it to entertain myself. I've seen enough lifts go sideways on a number of people not to get bent out of shape about it.

That's MY biggest fear on platform. First meet, second lift, farted so loud you could hear it over the all the people watching and announcer on the PA.

Whoops.

Things happen on deads on the platform. Don't think I'm ever going to forget watching some of the puking and peeing that I've seen.
    Puking I get, but peeing?

I think it's a chick thing.

It is. My girlfriends friend competes and I went to a meet in atl and all the chicks were talking about wearing diapers during deads because peeing..
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Not if you are going to a 1RM. Then I am guaranteed to need a spotter, especially at a globo with signs all over the place that say "please don't drop the weights."

That means don't drop it on the floor. Dropping a weight down onto the safety bars is the WHOLE POINT of having a power rack/squat rack.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Having a spotter on squats, even for 1rm, will depend on personal preference and equipment. Many gyms have signs every where that say don't drop the weights (not that everyone follows the advice of the signs). I do my tests without a spotter as I find having someone right up behind me to be far too uncomfortable and distracting. I just squat in either the power cage or squat rack where there are safeties. I failed at 200 last time I tested and the weights didn't drop to the floor as the safety part of the rack caught the bar. If equipment with the safeties in place isn't available, then it might be a different story as to how you would need to bail or need a spotter to handle it when unable to complete a lift.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Having a spotter on squats, even for 1rm, will depend on personal preference and equipment. Many gyms have signs every where that say don't drop the weights (not that everyone follows the advice of the signs). I do my tests without a spotter as I find having someone right up behind me to be far too uncomfortable and distracting. I just squat in either the power cage or squat rack where there are safeties. I failed at 200 last time I tested and the weights didn't drop to the floor as the safety part of the rack caught the bar. If equipment with the safeties in place isn't available, then it might be a different story as to how you would need to bail or need a spotter to handle it when unable to complete a lift.

I feel like that makes sense. I just feel bad because even though I used the squat rack and dropped the bar on the safeties when I failed a rep, people still stared at me and shook their heads. I was like "wtf am I doing wrong?!?" Plus I'm not used to being in a squat rack. There is something so comforting about having space to squat and the safeties--while there to help you drop the bar safely-- make me feel like I am not going to make the lift.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I feel like that makes sense. I just feel bad because even though I used the squat rack and dropped the bar on the safeties when I failed a rep, people still stared at me and shook their heads. I was like "wtf am I doing wrong?!?" Plus I'm not used to being in a squat rack. There is something so comforting about having space to squat and the safeties--while there to help you drop the bar safely-- make me feel like I am not going to make the lift.

Please clarify what you mean by "dropping the bar" during a failed squat attempt performed inside a rack. Are you dumping the bar so that it free falls to the rails?
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just got to spot my wife on bench for the first time. She didn't need me, but she did like me lifting off and guiding it back on.

I took advantage of the squat rack safety bars monday when my body said "HAH, nope!" to 285. lol I was in the hole though so it only had a couple inches to drop. lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I get this shaking feeling if you are so uncomfortably making a little noise and don't know how to ask for the things you need and aren't sure what you are doing- you should not be testing your 1RPM.

like something just seems off.

Bench in the power cage- no spotter needed.
    Squat in the squat rack or power cage needed- no spotter needed.

You need to learn how to properly fail a lift. If you don't know how to properly fail a lift- you shouldn't be testing your one rep max.

I totally have to wear a pad when I test my squat- using a belt and putting that much internal force- just makes a mess without it. It's gross. Whatever- my squat was pretty and neat at 245- I'll take it the silly pad for one lift session.
  • BoiNeezy
    BoiNeezy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I always keep my hands on bar when spotting without helping with lift rather be safe then sorry bud people die from weights dropping on them
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    BoiNeezy wrote: »
    I always keep my hands on bar when spotting without helping with lift rather be safe then sorry bud people die from weights dropping on them

You are the spotter that everyone hates
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I get this shaking feeling if you are so uncomfortably making a little noise and don't know how to ask for the things you need and aren't sure what you are doing- you should not be testing your 1RPM.

like something just seems off.

Bench in the power cage- no spotter needed.
    Squat in the squat rack or power cage needed- no spotter needed.

You need to learn how to properly fail a lift. If you don't know how to properly fail a lift- you shouldn't be testing your one rep max.

I totally have to wear a pad when I test my squat- using a belt and putting that much internal force- just makes a mess without it. It's gross. Whatever- my squat was pretty and neat at 245- I'll take it the silly pad for one lift session.

A lot of this. Learning how to safely fail a lift is almost as important as the rest as good form. Fails happen, knowing how to calmly deal with them keeps you calm in that situation.

As for noise, you are lifting metal. It contacts other metal and that makes noise. If someone is looking at you and shaking their head, that's on them, not you. As long as you're not actively amusing the equipment it's not their concern.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

DavPul wrote: »

Concur. If they can't lift it for at least one rep on their own (except for 1RM), they're lifting less then they think because hands on a bar will likely reduce resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

If you're bailing and just throwing the bar off of your back to come crashing down, then you will always get funny looks. The safety bars are so that it will catch the bar when you come back down after not being able to lock out the lift and rack it.

Mute this video, I'm just trying to share a proper squat rack bail. This bro uses a little language.

https://youtu.be/423Ew_DQC40?t=3m26s
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I was gonna go with, "the spotter that I don't even try to get it off my chest, so that you have to curl it all yourself."

But that's just me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I was gonna go with, "the spotter that I don't even try to get it off my chest, so that you have to curl it all yourself."

But that's just me.

lol- who was here a while back- I can't remember- but he pulled a bicep trying to be a nice guy helping "spot" someone who couldn't do one rep. ridiculous.