Protein...

Ms172u
Ms172u Posts: 19 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone else out there had problems with protein shakes giving you a bad stomach ache?

I have never really drank protein shakes, nor have I put protein into my smoothies, etc and this morning was the first time and I swear it's giving me the worst stomach EVER...

Any suggestions/comments? Do I have/need to have protein everyday?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    What kind are you taking? I do the myoplex lite ones and I get really full after just a 11oz shake, but never a problem with stomach aches etc.
    I only drink them after a workout like a spin class etc
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    I cannot do the pre-made protein shakes. I feel horrible if I drink them. I also just read in the latest issue of consumer reports about about a lot of protein shakes that exceed the RDA of mercury, lead, arsenic and cadium. (based on 3 shakes a day). I usually make my shakes with the dry protein mix and typically only use 1/2 of what is recommended. Hope this helps!!
  • jrich1
    I cannot do the pre-made protein shakes. I feel horrible if I drink them. I also just read in the latest issue of consumer reports about about a lot of protein shakes that exceed the RDA of mercury, lead, arsenic and cadium. (based on 3 shakes a day). I usually make my shakes with the dry protein mix and typically only use 1/2 of what is recommended. Hope this helps!!

I did some research on this including checking with manufactures and the lead cadium etc are all naturally occuring and appear more than just in protein shakes. I got the impression the way the articles were written they were "added" for some reason. It also doesnt become an issue till you drink a lot of them. Again, this stuff is in a lot of food ingredients natrually so its not as big issue as they made it out to be
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    I have a protein shake at least once a day I use the Atkins line only and have absolutely no problem with them! http://www.atkins.com/Products/AvailableProducts3l3/Atkins-Advantage-Shakes.aspx
  • Ms172u
    Ms172u Posts: 19 Member
    Well I actually made my own at home, followed the instructions on the Jillian Michaels Whey Protein container.
    I didn't workout this morning though, should I only drink after working out?
  • jrich1
    Well I actually made my own at home, followed the instructions on the Jillian Michaels Whey Protein container.
    I didn't workout this morning though, should I only drink after working out?

You can take them anytime for protein, I do it after working out because protein is suppose to help muscle rebuild
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    When I first started increasing my protein, it upset my stomach. I started slowly increasing and now it is easier on my tummy.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    YES! It happened to me using whey protein. I thought it might be brand so I tried a few different ones ... felt like I was coming down with the flu or food poisoning. Darnedest thing too because I can drink milk and have most other forms of dairy without issue. See if you can get some samples of other brands and don't drink the whole thing, hehe ... just enough to know if it's the whey.

I don't think it's the increase in protein though. I could easily have other kinds of protein without issue but trying whey again would make me violently ill ... I use egg protein powders now and stay away from whey isolate. There are other proteins you can try but I found egg to taste better than most other alternatives.

And no, you don't need a protein shake if you can get all your protein with food. Most of the time I get it with real food these days.
This discussion has been closed.