How many calories should I eat to lose weight while nursing?

Options
I am about to have a baby by c-section in a week. I really want to start the weight loss by eating better since I am not going to be able to exercise for about 6 weeks after. I have no idea how many calories I should eat to keep nursing the baby and lose weight at the same time. I don't mind losing it slowly.

Replies

• crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'd ask your doctor! Good luck to you and congrats!
  • kmcr14
    kmcr14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your doctor will know best, but I will say that, while I've never had a baby, my mom always said that breastfeeding helps shed weight. I'm not sure why, or if it's true for everyone, but that might be a small comfort to you. A google search just now confirmed this is true for some women, apparently. Also, maybe take walks as you feel better?
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm not completely sure about this but I think it's recommended that you eat 500 additional calories while breast feeding. So if you add 500 cals to MFP's calorie goal, that should work. But I do agree that your doctor would know what's best for you. Good luck xx
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    An additional 500 calories. And keep those fats up!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Do you know what your TDEE pre-pregnancy was? Becuase you have to eat above that to maintain while your nursing - milk production burns as many calories (or more) as a 30 minute treadmill session for most people! Here's an article that may be useful to you:

http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/articles.asp?id=991

Of course, I would cover all of this with my doctor. Good luck and CONGRATS!!!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'd ask your doctor! Good luck to you and congrats!

This! We can advise but the doctor will know.