Busy Working Mom Can't Gain Weight

Options
Recently bought a vivofit. Walking approx. 12,500 steps a day from normal daily activities. I have 4 young children and 38 years old. Only extra exercise I do is yoga exercises and some barbells for arms at home and that is not daily. No major cardio exercises. I am at 17.1 BMI. 106 LBS and I am 5'6. No thyroid issues. Typical weight 10 years ago (before kids) always staid around 120. I want to get this weight back without it all going straight to my stomach and staying there. I take multi vitamins daily. My appetite is not good I do not get very hungry until afternoon and dinner time. I skip breakfast a lot. I have recently began couple spoonfuls of peanut butter past 3 days if I don't get breakfast. I still have a lot of muscle tone especially in arms back and legs. Abs and gluteus not so good. I'm fine with fat butt but not fat belly. I am burning most of the calories I take in according to vivo fit. Fitness pal has me set at 1800+ cals a day to gain .5 lb week and I burn around 1400 cals a day. Any suggestions on something I can take to increase appetite?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights always boosts my appetite. You can try adding smoothies too, getting liquid calories between meals when you may not be hungry, but are thirsty.
  • Devenity
    Devenity Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water. Have 1 cup coffee in the morning. I have a soda sometime during the day. Do the boosts or other nutritional drinks help boost appetite or will help with weight gain?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    how many net calories a day are you consuming?
  • Devenity
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

2208 2 days ago. 1257 yesterday. Net calories. I don't like a lot of sweet junky stuff either. I'd rather have an apple cheese stuck or carrot than a cookie. I'm just now beginning to record everything so only have past few days of info. I like peanut butter and I'm trying to get a spoonful down a few times a day. I just don't have the appetite to consume what I need to gain. I've had bloodwork completed because I thought I had thyroid issues. Need to feel hungry!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Devenity wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

2208 2 days ago. 1257 yesterday. Net calories. I don't like a lot of sweet junky stuff either. I'd rather have an apple cheese stuck or carrot than a cookie. I'm just now beginning to record everything so only have past few days of info. I like peanut butter and I'm trying to get a spoonful down a few times a day. I just don't have the appetite to consume what I need to gain. I've had bloodwork completed because I thought I had thyroid issues. Need to feel hungry!!

that is your problem you are not consistently netting the same amount of calories. I would suggest netting the number of calories you need to gain for two weeks and see what happens.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    chocolate
    peanut butter
    cheese
    cream
    nuts
    pizza
    bananas
    mangos

eat those things in addition to what you're eating now
  • wmbooks10
    wmbooks10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not sure exactly what you should take to increase appetite but try to increase your protein intake and healthy fats if you want to gain weight. Continue eating peanut butter but if you have no allergies to these here's some examples of food items you can try: avocados, boiled eggs, lean chicken, yogurt, etc.
  • Akrion
    Akrion Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You've mentioned that you have tested for thyroid but have you actually asked your GP that you are trying to gain weight but haven't been successful? There can be many other reasons besides thyroid that are causing you not to gain weight i.e. certain bacteria in your colon.
    On the other hand, not having breakfast regularly or only having coffee may have accustomed your brain to alert you for hunger only in the afternoon since you are only feeding yourself after 18 hours or longer. Hence, your appetite is disappearing.
    Start with food that looks good to you... it will require a little extra effort for you to prepare and since you have four children, I know; every minute counts. Make scrambled eggs and serve with oranges, or oatmeal with fresh blueberries. Making healthier breakfast choices for your children will help you eat breakfast too since you would have spent so much time preparing it!
    Leave the packaged boost and processed stuff in the supermarket.
    Hope this helps...
  • Devenity
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thank all of you for the replies. Now that I am keeping track of it I can see and be reminded when I need to eat. Kids eat cereal, pop tarts, waffles and other fast breakfast meals on school mornings. Weekends I usually cook something better and I eat breakfast on the weekends. Many times during the weekdays I get busy with work as soon as kids are off to school and I think I forget to eat. Thinking about trying to give up coffee. I have told the doctor I cannot gain weight and have also had multiple headaches for the past few months but blood work shows normal. I don't think I have gained anything in a week since I have been paying attention which is discouraging. One would think after all the holiday meals I would've at least gained a bit.