question about food and exercise requirements

Options
I've been working on MFP for over 70 days. I'm really enjoying it, and have steadily lost. I'm dedicated with exercising as well. However, my calories are 1200 right now, and have been for a bit. Since MFP won't lower it, will I continue to lose over the next few months? I put my exercise as sedentary thinking that might help, but it didn't/won't. I started today putting in quick add calories just to "trick" my brain into not eating them. Any suggestions or comments, anyone?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?

As you lose weight, the amount of energy (TDEE) you use per day decreases...so 1200 will not be as large of a deficit for you. You will lose more slowly, and that's okay. You really shouldn't go below 1200. If you want to eat more, exercise a bit more so you can eat back those calories burned. This is why I don't typically recommend starting at 1200 calories, there's no where to go. Though, for short/sedentary people I know sometimes there's not much of a way around it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1200 is MFP's lowest default minimum before exercise. Unless you are a senior or less that 5" tall, then you can continue to lose weight eating 1200 + a reasonable estimation of exercise calories.

The reason you want to eat more - faster weight loss makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle. If you want a larger percentage of fat loss....eat more.

Exercise is for health & fitness. I exercise because I want to be healthier. Losing lean muscle does not make me as healthy as I can be.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Im 5'5 and 167 lbs. Exercising everyday..3 mph walk, with 1 hour minimum. I usually eat my exercise calories.
    I am afraid though I will quit losing. MFP started me with a bit higher calories, but as I have lost, it has cut them.
    Its working well right now, Im just wondering how it will work as I get lower weight. I'm super happy I started with MFP, its been pretty smooth sailing as far as weight loss!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Weight loss slows as you get closer to goal. Moving a smaller you from point A to point B requires fewer calories.

Towards the end a 1/2 pound a week is good progress. Congratulations on your success so far!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can reduce your deficit (from 2 pounds to 1 pound, or 1 pound to .5 pound) and that should give you calories
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm not super worried about how many calories I have. Its working out fine right now. I put mine up to 2 lbs right now although even though I'm maxed out on calories. My exercise calories is what helps me eat !
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1, and can lose on 1800 cals a day walking 3 miles a day. I always recommend starting off high and only reducing the amount of calories if weight loss stops. On 1200 cals I personally feel too deprived, which leads me to binge. So it's not sustainable for me long term.