Not enough calories?

Options

Replies

• statci
    statci Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Will do Juggernaut1974, i'll get a scale & see if it works out better for me.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    statci wrote: »
    I
    There's no way you're only eating a cup of pasta. Are you considering the whole box one cup?

I want to loose the weight but its one of the few things i actually like to eat so i literally take a measuring cup and take a cup. I don't even eat all that sometimes because i know its bad for me.

I joined this site to get information & talk about my diet etc. If i need negativism or sarcasm i can get that from my family thank you. So yeah thanks a lot for making fun of me on the first time i actually decide to talk to people about it.

First of all, take a breath. No one was making fun of you but many people on here have heard the same stories. Many people are not ready to face up to the fact that they are eating too many calories. You are actually very lucky because people are going out of their way to help you. Don't get mad and tune out...welcome the help and learn from it.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I
    There's no way you're only eating a cup of pasta. Are you considering the whole box one cup?

I want to loose the weight but its one of the few things i actually like to eat so i literally take a measuring cup and take a cup. I don't even eat all that sometimes because i know its bad for me.

I joined this site to get information & talk about my diet etc. If i need negativism or sarcasm i can get that from my family thank you. So yeah thanks a lot for making fun of me on the first time i actually decide to talk to people about it.

Statci, please try not to get hung up on if you think someone is criticizing you. The fact is, if this was easy, we'd all be thin. If you were doing everything right, you'd be losing. We are all just trying to help you figure out where your numbers are off so you can achieve your goals. After all, that's what you want, right? To achieve your goals? Anyway, try reading this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • statci
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Also, pasta isn't bad for you. Carbs aren't bad for you. And how can you claim to avoid carbs for dinner after eating carbs earlier in the day and then list a typical day of eating that is carbs carbs carbs? You're writing nonsense.

If i eat pasta/rice its either lunch or dinner not both times
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Have you tried slim rice and pastas? Almost zero calories and very filling.
  • statci
    Options
    Im taking it in stride guys, im listening & will take the advise to heart. First thing is to get a food scale got that as a step.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Also, pasta isn't bad for you. Carbs aren't bad for you. And how can you claim to avoid carbs for dinner after eating carbs earlier in the day and then list a typical day of eating that is carbs carbs carbs? You're writing nonsense.

Then why did you write
    Ok just for reference here is what my meals look like for the day.

Breakfast - 1 slice of whole wheat buttered toast (most morning i eat nothing because i HATE breakfast)

Lunch (i don't usually eat everyday)- 1 cup of cooked rice/pasta (when im really hungry) and a bite of chicken ( im not much of a meat eater)

Dinner - 1 cup of cooked rice/pasta with lil gravy or sauce (no meat - my dog loves me because she gets my share)

I am a creature of habit so this is what my weekly meals look like
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Im taking it in stride guys, im listening & will take the advise to heart. First thing is to get a food scale got that as a step.

That is a huge step to logging the right amount of calories. Then it comes down to choosing the right entries in the database etc. There is a good guide. I'll find the link to it for you.
    You can do this so try not to worry :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I

We are not making fun. I have been cooking for decades. Through the years I've screwed things up. We all learn. Example; I make a scratch cake .....xx cups or flour or xx ounces of flour. I measured the flour....UGH! it was horrible. I would have used far less flour had I weighed it. The flour was packed down too much.

Dry pasta is what you should be measuring (rice,...same thing). Really firm cooked pasta holds less water then (well) mushier pasta. So 1 cup of mushy, cooked pasta may have the same calorie count as 3/4 cup firm pasta. That's a big difference.

We don't measure things incorrectly on purpose, it's just the nature of some things we measure. I love cereal, but measuring vs. weighing can be a huge difference for me. Crushed up flakes vs. whole flakes.....the whole flakes take up much more space so they have fewer calories in a cup.
  • statci
    Options

Then why did you write

Breakfast - 1 slice of whole wheat buttered toast (most morning i eat nothing because i HATE breakfast)

Lunch (i don't usually eat everyday)- 1 cup of cooked rice/pasta (when im really hungry) and a bite of chicken ( im not much of a meat eater)

Dinner - 1 cup of cooked rice/pasta with lil gravy or sauce (no meat - my dog loves me because she gets my share)

oh wow, sorry let me correct that for you. I don't usually eat lunch so when i do i skip the rice/pasta for dinner
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You say you don't have an eating disorder but only eat about 4 types of food? You can't possibly find every other thing tastes foul so I do think you have issues surrounding food beyond over-eating. I also think you are possibly not being honest about your consumption with yourself. Nothing we say matters until all that is addressed.

And if you truly are eating that little then calories are coming from somewhere. Do you drink juice that isn't soda for example?
  • statci
    Options
    I drink juice & soda yes. Do i drink it everyday no, I prefer water and i can't even remember the last time i had soda or juice. It has probably been weeks ago.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Then what do you eat for dinner on the days you eat lunch?

Is water all you drink or is there coffee/tea with additives? Beer, wine, liquor?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Soda and juice typically have a lot of calories.

If you open your diary we could be a lot more specific with comments.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you are new, it can all seem complicated and overwhelming. But there is a lot of great experience here. For me I had to start with a better understanding how many calories I was eating per day, versus what I would need to eat to lose weight. After that I looked at how I could plan what I ate to meet my calorie goals. It takes patience and persistence, and support of other people who are doing the same things can really help! I do have to weigh and measure my food -- if I don't it is just to easy to eat more than my calorie goals.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    First off, one week is not a suitable time frame for judging anything related to weight loss. Weight fluctuates far too much for that.

Secondly, How are you determining your calorie intake? Honest and accurate food logging with a scale will most likely point out the flaws in estimations.

If you're currently overweight and want to lose, then 1200 calories per day might make you lose, or might not, it's going to depend on how many calories your burns just by existing. If you are overweight and you absolutely definitely get 1200 calories a day (no guessing!) then that means you are eating over your maintenance.

I suggest reading the sticky threads at the top of this forum, they are loaded with lots of good information.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

She's trying to eat more calories. This is a terrible idea.

OP: If you only truly ate what you said you eat, in the absence of a medical issue, the weight would be falling off you.

We're not getting the whole story here.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

She's trying to eat more calories. This is a terrible idea.

OP: If you only truly ate what you said you eat, in the absence of a medical issue, the weight would be falling off you.

We're not getting the whole story here.

The OP doesn't need more calories. She isn't losing weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You guys are probably right. But I think less than 1/2 a pack of pasta with some sauce a day would shouldn't be over 1200cal. i know pasta is bad for me so when i do eat it i try not to eat any carbs for dinner, i would grab tuna or something

OP I think you've gotten good advice so far about getting a food scale, but I really think it would be helpful for you to open up your food diary. Additionally, what you've outlined above, that's what you've started eating since you started trying to lose weight? What were you eating before? Because if you are only eating a piece of toast for breakfast (or nothing) a cup of pasta or rice and ONE BITE of chicken for lunch and pretty much the same for dinner, there is no way you shouldn't be losing.

Also, carbs and pasta are not bad. No food is bad. Doritos, juice, soda - those can all fit within the context of a balanced, nutritious diet, and still lose weight. But what I'm seeing so far is not balanced or nutritious - it seems.... incomplete. Something must be missing?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    There's no way you're eating below 1200 cals daily and not losing.