Losing hair

Options
Hi everyone,

I have lost cca 25lbs since August and I started losing hair recently (2-3 weeks ago). I do have PCOS, but hair loss was never my issue. As far as I know, my thyroid is ok, but I will have that checked once the holidays are over.
I do eat my exercise calories back, sometimes not all of them, but around 50%. If I eat less than that I try to eat more the next day and so on.
My macros are 30C/40F/30P. I sometimes cannot reach my protein goal but I am pretty close.
I don't have any other signs that would point to undereating, I don't feel fatigued or dizzy or foggy minded. I feel pretty good, sometimes tired in the evenings if my workout was harder.
I do mostly cardio/circuit classes and started strength training (1-2 week) recently. I'm still at very low weights.

My question is, does weight loss generally cause hair loss or am I missing something? I can't remember that I lost hair in the past when I lost weight.

TIA!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What is your average daily caloric intake? Severely under-eating calories (regardless of macro breakdown) can cause hair loss.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    first thought (aside from thyroid or other medical condition) is a vitamin deficiency of some kind.try adding in a multivitamin and adding in a good biotin supplement to see if that helps (and make sure you go to doc to rule out health issues)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i would check with your doctor. it could be the pcos, it could be undereating, it could be a vitamin deficiency, or something else completely.
  • CoffeeSlayer
    CoffeeSlayer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    iron deficiency will cause hair loss
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Labs could be helpful for iron and B vitamins (biotin especially). Both are important for hair growth. Sometimes alopecia doesn't have any origin. :cry: