Running and cross training

I am starting to get back into the groove of things I was wondering how many days people run and how many days to cross train or weight train. I'm wanting to get in overall better shape but I also want to do 5ks and maybe longer races also. Any advice would be good

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    My main distane is HM, with three marathons planned next year. At the moment I run 5 days pw, with a day of cycling or turbo, sometimes two.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    I usually run 6 times a week, but only over 5 days. The other 2 days, one is a rest day and one day is spent on the stationary bike. I don't do as much cross training as I probably should.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I usually run 2-3 times a week and do indoor cycling 2 times, yoga once a week (just for funsies) and weight training 2-3 times a week. I've found that indoor cycling and weight training have really boosted by endurance while running, so I try to keep those constant with my routine.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    I run/bike 4 days a week (usually 2+2 if weather and light allow), and lift 2 days a week. I'm really liking what the strength training is doing for my running and biking.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    I am starting to get back into the groove of things I was wondering how many days people run and how many days to cross train or weight train. I'm wanting to get in overall better shape but I also want to do 5ks and maybe longer races also. Any advice would be good

I'm a cyclist for most of the year, but in the fall when I take a break for some running I usually run 10-12 times a week. Monday's are either a really easy run, light bike, or just a day off depending on how I feel. Running the other 6 days with gym work usually on Tue/Fri.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    I usually run 3-4x/week (any more than that, and I start flirting with injuries), cycle 2-3x/week, and swim 2x/week. I also try to work in 2 strength sessions and 2 stretching sessions each week (although I admit I neglect the stretching more than I should). Many days consist of two workouts. It sounds dorky, but I actually print out a monthly calendar and plan my workouts ahead of time and set mileage goals for myself to stay motivated.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    ephiemarie wrote: »
    It sounds dorky, but I actually print out a monthly calendar and plan my workouts ahead of time and set mileage goals for myself to stay motivated.

I don't think that sounds dorky at all! A training plan with no direction isn't going to be very effective!

• jlisa24
    jlisa24 Posts: 305 Member
    I typically run 3 days a week, cycle 1-2 days and Bikram yoga 1-2 days. I haven't yet incorporated strength training, though I should. I like to keep up the cardio but have loved the physical aspect of Bikram and found the stretching and flexibility has helped with any injuries / complications from running.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I run 3-4 times a week between 3 and 13 miles. slowly
    i do yoga and aerial yoga at least 2x a week
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

my wife is a runner and she runs 4x per week (unless she's training for a 1/2 of full or something) and she lifts 3x weekly. she was doing good about riding once per week to cross train, but hasn't been on the bike since winter set in as she doesn't really have much in the way of cold weather riding gear and doesn't really want to make the investment given she primarily is a runner...she'll get back on the bike come spring.
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    I run 3 days a week, gym the other 3 days working on strength conditioning. Looking at incorporating a day of spinning at the gym in on the gym days. Got lots of races in 2016 and want to be in best shape. Ran my first Half Marathon in September and loved it!
  • BanksySJ11
    BanksySJ11 Posts: 96 Member
    3 runs 3 strength training with 1 day active rest usually walking or swimming