Bulk and be Normal?

Options
Not much of a poster, but as I've been going through the threads, I've been extremely impressed with how calculated and scientific everyone's methods for gains are. Counting calories and being extremely strict with your workouts seem to be paying off! Great work!
Me, I'm different. Yes, I've done the whole sciencing my body to obtain optimal aesthetic appeal, but honestly, I just like training and being cognizant of what I'm consuming.
For people who want to bulk and still look somewhat lean without all the paperwork and really don't want to dedicate everything they have to looking like Arnold (or the female equivalent), here's the strategy that I have used for years. It's simple (for me anyways)
1. Eat lots but don't be dumb (logic and your body will tell you what dumb means)
2. Lift lots (I mix it up with heavy/less reps, and lighter with more reps depending on how my body feels)
3. Related to the above, listen to your body!
Notes:
- if you know you can have one more piece of bread, but will be stuffed afterwards, don't eat it
- if you have no motivation to do your entire workout (chest, back, legs etc) SOMETHING is better than nothing. Bang out some chin-ups, pushies, crunches, lunges, or at least something!) the whole "skipping a day" has never worked out for me- it turns into a slack week real quick
- if something hurts, maybe today isn't the best day to max out on bench press? (Chances are the girl on the stairclimber isn't looking anyways)
- hate to say it, but don't skip leg
Day. Gosh

Now, I know this post may get ripped apart by some of the serious bikers, and that's completely fine. In no way was it meant to downplay all your methods. I think you are all doing a great job and keep it up!

For some however, the calculations and science talk can be intimidating, and for those who just want to get bigger and stronger, maybe this philosophy will work for you! Maybe it's just my genetics, but I have bulked to 240, and now I've cut down to about 200 from the stress of school and everything. On my way back up though!
Out of all the programs and methods I have used, work hard, and don't be dumb is my favorite.

Happy gainz everyone! Feel free to friend me!

Replies

• JehTL
    JehTL Posts: 59 Member
    Options

kibjlhvrtwt6.jpeg

Just for reference, here's where I am now with the intention to put on 20. (Shadow in a bit more ab to account for the holiday pudge of course)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Not much of a poster, but as I've been going through the threads, I've been extremely impressed with how calculated and scientific everyone's methods for gains are. Counting calories and being extremely strict with your workouts seem to be paying off! Great work!
    Me, I'm different. Yes, I've done the whole sciencing my body to obtain optimal aesthetic appeal, but honestly, I just like training and being cognizant of what I'm consuming.
    For people who want to bulk and still look somewhat lean without all the paperwork and really don't want to dedicate everything they have to looking like Arnold (or the female equivalent), here's the strategy that I have used for years. It's simple (for me anyways)
    1. Eat lots but don't be dumb (logic and your body will tell you what dumb means)
    2. Lift lots (I mix it up with heavy/less reps, and lighter with more reps depending on how my body feels)
    3. Related to the above, listen to your body!
    Notes:
    - if you know you can have one more piece of bread, but will be stuffed afterwards, don't eat it
    - if you have no motivation to do your entire workout (chest, back, legs etc) SOMETHING is better than nothing. Bang out some chin-ups, pushies, crunches, lunges, or at least something!) the whole "skipping a day" has never worked out for me- it turns into a slack week real quick
    - if something hurts, maybe today isn't the best day to max out on bench press? (Chances are the girl on the stairclimber isn't looking anyways)
    - hate to say it, but don't skip leg
    Day. Gosh

Now, I know this post may get ripped apart by some of the serious bikers, and that's completely fine. In no way was it meant to downplay all your methods. I think you are all doing a great job and keep it up!

For some however, the calculations and science talk can be intimidating, and for those who just want to get bigger and stronger, maybe this philosophy will work for you! Maybe it's just my genetics, but I have bulked to 240, and now I've cut down to about 200 from the stress of school and everything. On my way back up though!
    Out of all the programs and methods I have used, work hard, and don't be dumb is my favorite.

Happy gainz everyone! Feel free to friend me!

pretty much agree …

My only caveat would be that if you want to minimize fat gains just be accurate with your logging and make sure that you are hitting your 250 calorie surplus.

I would also add that meeting macro minimums and getting adequate nutrition is important.

Finally, doing something is better than nothing…but one should really try to follow a structured program to maximize gains.

• Milabella
    Milabella Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know many who have success using your method. Seems to be working for you. I like the variety of methods to shape ur body. But you're right, it's harder for some to follow the more precise methods- for gaining or losing.
  • JehTL
    Options
    Thanks @Milabella , I'm going to try this counting stuff with this app though! Hopefully it helps:).
  • Ifitfits
    Ifitfits Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Milabella , I'm going to try this counting stuff with this app though! Hopefully it helps:).

It WILL help . You will hit your protein , fats and carb goals on a daily basis if you strict . Helps avoid over-eating as well as under-eating . My brother for example is currently bulking using this app , i have bulked using it in the past and fat gains were minimal .
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that. I need everything planned out personally. I'd say as long as you understand nutrition and are meeting micro/macronutrient goals, while gaining weight and running a program with a progressive overload-you don't need to log. I just come in contact with a lot of dudes at the gym who complain they aren't gaining, or they LOST weight...or they are just so confused about water weight, glycogen, etc. They tell me they're eating 4000+ calories per day and not gaining, or losing. That's when little research and perhaps a food scale might be helpful...
  • Milabella
    Milabella Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @arditarose yep, when u start getting confused, tracking helps u figure things out. It also helps u learn more about ur body, which is y I'm consistently tracking right now. Giving myself a year to figure some things out. Then, hopefully I can be more like @calmelewis52 again & just be more aware of my day to day habits & use this as back up. I'll probably always use the recipe builder & my food scale.
  • JehTL
    Options
    :) I've been slacking on my counting! But seeing everyone post keeps me motivated to train at least. Keep it up @Milabella !
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would staunchly disagree with two things
    1. Listen to your body.
    2. Mix it up.

Yes you should always be attentive to your body. But quite frankly... My body is a little bi*ch. And if I listened to my body, I'd never have a successful cut and if never have a successful bulk. Bulking is hardest. I have to really be on point with my calories and eat when my log is done. If I listened to my body. . I'd stop gaining

And secondly mixing it up over long term training is useful but proven programs and cycles help give you success when you have stonewalled. There may be some slight variety in there but most programing has you run the same lifts with minimal variations.

So yes. But. With some judicious data and programing and support.

And. I'm no longer a serious biker. . I'm official a weekend warrior on my whittle SV. Sorry.
  • JoRocka
    Options

#notsorry
  • JehTL
    Options
    Lol "my body is a little *kitten*"
  • JoRocka
    Options
    it is. Let's be really- this body wants to sit on the couch and eat bonbons. This brain attached to this body.. has other plans. like kicking *kitten* and being fabulous LOL