I want sushi today. A LOT of sushi

Options
Is it worth having 900 calorie lunch as long as I keep to my goal, work out and eat light tonight? I don't plan on making it a habit, but since this is not a "diet" and is more a lifestyle, I want to know I'll be able to do this now and again without feeling guilty or freaking out about it.

Replies

• noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    900 calories?? What kind of sushi are you eating? lol

I am actually making my own sushi for dinner with the smoked salmon and avocado and cucumber. I measure out my sushi rice and spread it thinly on the seaweed wrapper. 1/2 a cup of raw rice once cooked, will cover 2 wrapper sheets. When they are all cut up, I can get 2 meals with 6- 8 and that is only about 300 calories, 40 carbs, and a couple grams of fat.

I use about 1/8 tsp of soy sauce for each serving of the 6-8 and just put a drop or two on each roll.

I am addicted to these things and eat them for dinner once a week and lunch the next day with the leftovers.

P.S. to answer your question -- if you enjoy eating them, then yes -- 900 calories for 1 meal woudl be OK if you did good the rest of the time and exercised and drink lots of water!
  • bbblue92
    bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    noneya2010 - OMG that sounds GOOOOOD!!! Loooove SUSHI. Is it hard to make?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If its not an every day thing, I dont see a problem with what could be a splurge now and then.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    I say go for it as long as you know what you must do in order to make it okay! Enjoy and save me a spicy tuna roll :tongue:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh, sushi is a must-have treat for me now and then. Work it in! :) Light on the soy sauce though, if you can! (That's hard for me, I LOVE soy sauce! ...)

Dang, now I want sushi ... LOL
  • princesspurple
    Options
    Go for it! I love sushi! I love to make it! I use avocado, cucumber, crab meat, siracha mayo, and sometimes i do shrimp tempura. I eat is w/ wasabi and soy sauce and some ginger. i don't feel guilty for indulging when it comes to sushi! it is healthy and so good!
  • UltimateLover
    UltimateLover Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    This has made me crave sushi too now.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Keep it to no more than once a week and it's perfectly fine. I would consider that a treat meal ... fits into calories but not something you would do every day.
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Def. go for it! As long as it wont throw you off track, use it as a treat for doing so well on your program that you actually stopped to THINK about what you would be putting in your mouth. Celebrate all your hard work, but dont fall off the wagon! :-) Enjoy it!

Now I want Sushi - dang it!
  • noneya2010
    Options
    noneya2010 - OMG that sounds GOOOOOD!!! Loooove SUSHI. Is it hard to make?

No they are very simple to make. I get the sushi rice in the asian section of Kroger, along with the rolling papers/seaweed paper. You just have to make sure you use sushi rice because it's a bit stickier than regular rice, although you can make them with brown rice. I measure out 1/2 a cup of the rice, soak it for a few hours then boil it. Don't steam it or it won't work (the rice becomes too dry). You have to boil it then drain and let cool down a couple of minutes.

You then just lay the paper, shiny side down, spead rice, leaving the top section with about 1/2 inch of no rice. Then about 1/2 way on the paper/rice, you put some avocado slices, shrimp, crab, or salmon (or whatever you like) in a strip right across the paper. Then you roll up and cut. Then you just put them in the fridge for a little while or the next day and they are sooooo good!

We do have a sushi roller gadget. It's a flat wooden type thing that looks like a pot holder and you use it when your rolling the sushi. I think we found this in the grocery store too! You need something firm to roll them up. When my husband makes them, he reverse rolls where the rice is actually on the outside of the sushi -- I am not that good yet so I wrap with the wrapper on the outside. The wrapper package has picture directions on the back too so you can see what i'm talking about.

Very simple and tastes like the real thing!
  • johnsoag
    johnsoag Posts: 59
    Options
    sushi...really? 900 cal? oi vey.
    but it's just so tasty.
    Good treat for yourself. and me, too...thanks for the idea! :)
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Must be in the air. I was craving sushi so I had some last night (california roll) and 1/2'd an order of california & spicy shrimp for lunch. It was less than 500 cals & fit into my routine nicely. And, I'm full & will be satisfied all day.

I probably won't make my protein requirements today & I'm sure to be over with my carbs, but so what. I don't eat it everyday or even every week (although I could!). And I always choose the brown rice ones. They are soooo good.

Enjoy!
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Not only is it worth it, but if you do this every so often it can help keep you going because you are getting the things you want still. I make my own sushi but that rice can certainly add up. I need to find a good rice sub that is low in calories.
  • AtomicLemon
    AtomicLemon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, it ended up being 1,167 calories since I had 3 spicy tuna cut rolls. Plus the spicy mayo. Eeeesh. Not the best idea, but you know what? I'm not going to feel guilty. I really, TRULY enjoyed every morsel. I will work out this evening and have a (VERY) light dinner. I have 192 calories left... maybe an apple? ;)

Thanks for all of the replies and also input on making my own here at home!
  • gecallo
    gecallo Posts: 135
    Options
    Oh Hell Yeah!!! Glad you enjoyed it! I love the raw fishies! :o]
  • princesspurple
    Options
    I am glad you enjoyed it all! I can't wait to have some...maybe for lunch tomorrow!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about sashimi too! You can get your protein in and it is extremely low calorie! For example, 3 oz of tuna is 61 calories! That's approximately 3 pieces. Yellowtail is 30 calories per piece, hamachi is 40 calories per piece, etc.. You can get a decent meal for 200-300 calories!
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I made sushi yesterday without rice. I used cauliflower chopped up in place of rice, got my veggies and cut so many calories out of it. Turned out pretty good.
  • princesspurple
    Options
    interesting punktorian......did you mix the cauliflower w/ salt, rice vineger, sugar????????
  • noneya2010
    Options
    I made sushi yesterday without rice. I used cauliflower chopped up in place of rice, got my veggies and cut so many calories out of it. Turned out pretty good.

This sounds good!! Did you boil the cauliflower first or steam? Does it hold together good?

Let me know how you make yours so I can try this! Thanks!