Why can't I make myself drink water?

Options
Yesterday, day one on MFP, I did ok one the water thing ... however today I passed up water several times for diet Pepsi .... I have had 3 - 20 oz DP's today.

Tonight I am going to force some water in so I can get out of bed 10 times tonight to pee ....

I really need to get off the DP, but I am addicted .... my job requires lots of caffeine.

Help with ideas on how to kick the habit .... I know if I get off the DP the weight will come off a lot easier!

Replies

• AnnaFit4Life
    AnnaFit4Life Posts: 106 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Try the little squirt SF flavorings for your water. Just a few drops adds a hint of flavor and it may make it easier for you to drink more water and replace the DP. There are so many flavors to try too.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi has 0 calories, it won't hinder your weight loss one bit and not drinking it won't make you lose weight any faster. It also is composed of mostly water, so it counts toward your daily water intake.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Diet soft drinks don't stop your weight loss. There's no need to stop drinking it if you don't want to.
  • melizabird919
    melizabird919 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink a lot more if i add some flavor. Sliced lemon and cucumber are great. Fruit infused water is all the rage. But to save time cutting fruit, I will do crystal light packs and other "water enhancers" ( they do make some with caffeine too). It helped get me to a point where I'm drinking more plain old water daily because I realize how much better I feel when I'm hydrated! Good luck!
  • SharpPI
    SharpPI Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was always told that soft drinks make you retain water.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    water is better, but I drink more diet soda than I do water. The only time I truly enjoy water is after an exhausting workout. A nice cold jug never tasted so good :)
  • SharpPI
    SharpPI Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Try the little squirt SF flavorings for your water. Just a few drops adds a hint of flavor and it may make it easier for you to drink more water and replace the DP. There are so many flavors to try too.

Heading to the store to give it a try.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    SharpPI wrote: »

Well, compared to tap water, yes, although diet to a lesser degree than regular.

But so what? When you look at yourself in the mirror, do you think "man, I need to lose some water", or "man, I need to lose some fat"?

Water retention is irrelevant if your goal is fat loss. Yes, water retention can make your overall weight fluctuate and sometimes make it hard to see the effect of fat loss on the scale, but as long as you look over long amounts of time and don't obsess over day-to-day weight changes, it really doesn't matter if you retain water or not.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, day one on MFP, I did ok one the water thing ... however today I passed up water several times for diet Pepsi .... I have had 3 - 20 oz DP's today.

Tonight I am going to force some water in so I can get out of bed 10 times tonight to pee ....

I really need to get off the DP, but I am addicted .... my job requires lots of caffeine.

Help with ideas on how to kick the habit .... I know if I get off the DP the weight will come off a lot easier!

After you drink adequate water for a day or two your thirst mechanism will kick back in, and you'll feel thirsty and drink water.
    As for the peeing, well....that will happen for a while. It does for me when I'm dropping off bodyfat, or getting re-hydrated. It helps a LOT to get plenty of water in first thing in the morning. Then you can get a jump start on your hydration that day, and pee while you are still at home.

Caffeine withdrawal is migraine and fatigue for a week for me, but I went off all at once.
    You could back off slowly and take more time.

I agree, I think your body will respond really well to cutting the DP!
    Kombucha is a fermented natural lo-cal soda, maybe you would like Synergy?
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Diet Pepsi has 0 calories, it won't hinder your weight loss one bit and not drinking it won't make you lose weight any faster. It also is composed of mostly water, so it counts toward your daily water intake.

It also has caffeine so it's diuretic, no?
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Diet soda counts towards your water intake,even if it is caffeinated. It will not make you retain water. If work is so stressful you might want to look at other things to help you cope.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options

I think you are right.
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/drinking-soda-cause-water-retention-11967.html
  • brockharris228
    brockharris228 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    All these people saying dp doesn't stop you from losing weight I'm just like
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You should try to wean yourself off of caffeine slowly. I stopped drinking sodas a LONG time ago. They are really bad for you (especially on your kidneys). It takes about 2 weeks to get over the cravings. I drink only water, and I don't add flavoring (I can't b/c it's got too much phosphorous), and I don't miss it. It takes a while to get used to it, but you will.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    All these people saying dp doesn't stop you from losing weight I'm just like

You're just like what? Because I'm sitting here 21lbs lighter drinking diet coke every day...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you like Diet Pepsi because it tastes good and it is stimulating. I switch between plain water, tea, Diet Pepsi, Mio flavoured water and Perrier. They all count towards hydration.

The variety keeps me interested and engaged.

None contribute to water retention and none hinder weight loss.

The idea that caffeine laden drinks dehydrate is an urban legend. So says WebMd.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Despite my Brita filter, I'm not crazy about the taste of my tap water, and not into the waste of bottled water, so get a lot of my fluid from weak decaf green tea.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It also has caffeine so it's diuretic, no?

Yes, but the diuretic effects are minimal and in no way offset the water you take in in the process of drinking it.

europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618

Excerpt:
    ...The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health....
  • lcthatsit
    lcthatsit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try VOSS water. You will drink yourself silly. It's so yummy!!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I drink practically no water. I do drink coffee, tea, lemonade, an occasional Coke Zero. I've been at my goal weight for over three years and have no health issues. All fine. Let thirst be your guide and enjoy a wide variety of beverages within your calorie level.