Wondering about Pasta?

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Just flip the boxes over in the grocery store and see if there's enough of a difference in the varieties to make a switch.

For me, whole wheat pasta wasn't any enough different from regular in terms of nutrition, and I wasn't crazy about the texture. Some that have extra protein or fiber, like Ronzoni Smart Taste, are good, but I'm broke so I only get them when they're on sale. Spaghetti squash was tasty, but nothing like spaghetti. And the "miracle noodles" were like chewing rubber bands.

So, personally, I just get regular pasta and make sure I measure out a normal sized portion, then bulk up the rest of the meal with lots of vegetables. I'm still eating an enormous bowl of pasta, but with ~200 calories pasta, with maybe 40 calories of vegetables mixed in, instead of a 400 calorie serving of just pasta. Same volume of food, but lower cal and more nutritious.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Look for the high fiber ones if youre going for pasta. I have ruled pasta out of my diet just because it has very little nutrition. I opt for quinoa now. It's higher in fiber, protein, iron, and a little lower in calories.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Spaghetti squash!
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Whole grain and whole wheat pasta is the best. Veggie pasta is basically just regular "White" pasta that has been dyed with the veggie juice. Little actual veggie nutrients.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I like the whole wheat spighetti pasta better than the white kind!! has a nutty flavor and better texture!! more protein and more fiber!! is a good thing! :smile:

I make a big pot of spighetti and then freeze half or more in freezer zip lock bags lie them down flat get all the air out and they stack in freezer well and ya have a meal in mins in the microwave just cut the bag away from the food and put on a plate and cover to stop it from splattering all over ya microwave!! if your short on time with one good cooking day you can have meals ready on hand in lightening speed during the week!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I weigh the pasta before I boil it and only make two servings for the two of us. This means less pasta than we were used to so I up the number of veggies. That way we can have a big plate of pasta but it's really mostly vegetables. For the two of us, tonight's rice noodle and chicken dish had 1/4 head of red cabbage, 1/2 a big bag of spinach, an 8 oz -package of mushrooms, and a big bell pepper in it along with all the sauce makings for a Thai-ish dish.