Need equip. suggestions - bang for buck

Options
So, I know there will be a sale on all of the fitness gear as the new year approaches. I have an elliptical (which I love doing) but was thinking I could really use some weight training as well. Should I look at some free weights, kettlebells, or even a fitness 'machine' ? What is my best 'bang for buck'? TYIA

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Im assuming by fitness machine you mean like a bowflex or that type of machine.I would say the best would be the free weights/kettlebells.free weights(they have adjustable ones) and kettlebells are better than a fitness machine.you get a better range of motion with free weights and kettlbells compared to fitness machines. and you have to use more muscles to control those weights where a fitness machine you dont. I would invest in adjustable weights/kettlebells(they have both) they take up less space and in my opinion you will end up spending less money in the long run.You will also be able to work more body parts/muscles with the free weights compared to a machine, you can only do so much on a machine and can do more with free weights/kettlebells.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I like the PowerBlock adjustable dumbbells. 5 to 50 pounds adjustable in 2.5 pound increments. Add ons up to 90 pounds per hand. Versatile, compact and easily adjusted.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    The best bang for your buck is going to be something that is adjustable. If you plan on sticking to it long term and doing traditional lifts, you want something that can go up to 200-250lb. That you enjoy using it though is the most critical component. I can tell you to get a barbell, but if you hate it it'll sit there and not get used.

Things that fit this bill are:
    * Bench, half rack with safeties and a barbell set
    * Bench and adjustable dumbbell set
    * adjustable kettlebells
    * Machines like the bowflex

While the power block is pretty cool, it also costs significantly more than plates and a bar. You can buy 200lb in plates for $1/lb and then two handles for $30 for a grand total of $230 and you should be able to do 2.5lb increments from 2.5-80lb. You don't even have to buy all the weight at once either, just go back to the store and buy more weights as needed. A 70lb power block set costs closer to $450. Yes, the power blocks and similar equipment are more convenient, but they fail in the bang for the buck category.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If you don't have space for weights, or if you want to have something super compact and affordable, look for deals on a TRX or Jungle Gym XT (knockoff TRX). Suspension straps+treadmill+dumbbells/kettlebells/barbells covers just about everything you'd need for everything.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I second a decent bench, free weights. Do you go to a gym? New to weight training? It would give you an idea of what increments would be needed. Weights can get pricey but if you only need a few it is a great investment.

• pondee629
    Options
    nordlead2005

The space requirement for individual weights (either as plates or individual dumbbell) is greater than with the adjustable and the ease of changing weight on the PowerBlocks is much easier and quicker than swapping out/adding plates. You pays your money, you make your choices.
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions everyone! :)

Yes, I would be brand new to weight training.
    I don't go to a gym because it is too far from where I live so that is why I'm creating a home gym. I have a bit of space but not a ton. I have some 5lb dumbells and started using those for some arm exercises and it is enough weight right now for my triceps but not for my biceps and definitely not my shoulders (I do a lot of yoga). I have no idea how to use weights to work out my legs, back or abs though, I'm hoping to figure it out as I go.

It looks like I need a bench and some free weights. I had never thought of buying plates and bars (duh), I was thinking individual dumbells - so that is a good idea! Those PowerBlocks look great but unless they are drastically on sale I won't be able to get them for a while because $$$$. I'd rather start now than wait. I have seen some adjustable kettlebells that weren't too expensive so they might be on the radar too.

• nordlead2005
    Options
    My suggestion of 200lb of
    pondee629 wrote: »
    nordlead2005

The space requirement for individual weights (either as plates or individual dumbbell) is greater than with the adjustable and the ease of changing weight on the PowerBlocks is much easier and quicker than swapping out/adding plates. You pays your money, you make your choices.

Two PowerBlocks take ~0.8 cubic feet of storage space. 200lb of plates and 2 14" bars should fit in ~0.8-1 cubic foot of space assuming you buy solid plates instead of grip plates. It is essentially a wash. Yes, they are more convenient with the quick swap, but I wouldn't push someone toward them if they want best bang for buck.

As for lifting routines and where to start, there are plenty of options. If you search the forum for beginner routines you can find all sorts of choices, pick one that fits what you think you'll enjoy. StrongLifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Strong Curves, and more are all good programs. You can do dumbbell variations of those if you don't have the space for barbell or you can find dumbbell specific programs. I would pick a program before starting to collect equipment though since there is no reason to buy something that won't be used.
  • pondee629
    Options
    I'm curious, how many plates would you need to have 200 pounds and be able to have a range of 5 pounds to 50 pounds in 2.5 pound increments? I'm guessing 20 five pounders (10 five pounders her hand) and two 2.5 pounders. That's 105 pounds plus the two bars. You may be right on cost. I can go from 50 to 10 in a second on the PowerBlocks, maybe that is their only benefit.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    This half cage beckons me every time in my home gym. http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23773346
    I can also attach my suspension trainer and bands to the cage for more variety.

You get more bang in less time with the compound lifts. You'll be snapping those gym selfies after the first session. I also notice more jumping and push/pull power in sports.

The other two items I lean towards for full-body work are Kettlebells and Landmines.
    You can get a cheap 15# KB at TJMaxx to try out. And on Amazon you can find some nice heavier KBs (I like CAP).
    I also bought my Landmine socket on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J2B28O4?keywords=Landmine&qid=1451505946&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

You could also pick up a used tractor tire. Toss, drag and jump it. If you can.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Adjustable dumbbells like power blocks or bowflex selecttechs. I have the bowflex 552 and LOVE them. They are pricey tho.

• _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'll bang for a... nevermind.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    zenjen13 wrote: »
    So, I know there will be a sale on all of the fitness gear as the new year approaches. I have an elliptical (which I love doing) but was thinking I could really use some weight training as well. Should I look at some free weights, kettlebells, or even a fitness 'machine' ? What is my best 'bang for buck'? TYIA

Help your friends move
  • nordlead2005
    edited December 2015
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I'm curious, how many plates would you need to have 200 pounds and be able to have a range of 5 pounds to 50 pounds in 2.5 pound increments? I'm guessing 20 five pounders (10 five pounders her hand) and two 2.5 pounders. That's 105 pounds plus the two bars. You may be right on cost. I can go from 50 to 10 in a second on the PowerBlocks, maybe that is their only benefit.

4x1.25, 4x2.5, 4x5, and 16x10, for 194lb total, takes standard dumbbells up to 50lb in 2.5lb increments and after that it'll depend on the bar if you can do 2.5lb increments or you'll have to jump to 5lb increments on the way up to 80lb.

The other advantage of the dumbbell systems it that they force you to store them neatly. I mean, you could sprawl the parts out, but it would be completely useless. With plates, I've been known to leave them all over the floor on occasion.

I'll note that I have the same rack as rileyes and I love it. Not the best quality in the world, but I know it can hold more than I'll ever squat. It is rated for 600lb and I don't really have plans of squatting over 400lb. I bounced on single safety arm in the store when I weighed 200lb so its good enough for me. There are cheaper options out there though that are just as safe (like a squat rack with safeties instead of a half or full rack).
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

I don't go to a gym because it is too far from where I live so that is why I'm creating a home gym. I have a bit of space but not a ton. I have some 5lb dumbells and started using those for some arm exercises and it is enough weight right now for my triceps but not for my biceps and definitely not my shoulders (I do a lot of yoga). I have no idea how to use weights to work out my legs, back or abs though, I'm hoping to figure it out as I go.

It looks like I need a bench and some free weights. I had never thought of buying plates and bars (duh), I was thinking individual dumbells - so that is a good idea! Those PowerBlocks look great but unless they are drastically on sale I won't be able to get them for a while because $$$$. I'd rather start now than wait. I have seen some adjustable kettlebells that weren't too expensive so they might be on the radar too.

Check Craigslist....especially in Feb-March when people starting giving up on their New Years resolutions.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

you dont have to have a bench and barbell right away. you can just get hand weights and kettlebells if you want. I didnt have a weight bench for the longest time and still found ways to work my arms,legs,etc. but I have noticed that weights are almost $2 per lb of weight. so if you want to save money in the long run then the adjustable ones are the way to go. but of you dont have the funds get a cheaper set of the adjustable ones. the powerblocks also have a bar that can go inbetween the handweights to make it a barbell. its like $70 though just for the bar. you can get a cheap decent weight bench with weights for under $100 if that is the route you want to take. but you can get by for now with just hand weights and kettlebells and follow a lifting program. fitnessblender.com has weight lifting videos(among other types of workout videos) and they are free as well. check them out.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Good for you for deciding to hit the weights. Good advice above and I stand by my statement that the best investment for your buck is some simple free weights. You can invest in an exercise ball for ab work and it can even be used as a bench (I did this for years before investing in a bench...starting lifting a lot heavier and it was time to get on a more stable surface).

ob4i7cv4x6lp.jpg
    tkzv0xyh3d10.jpg

So much more great home workout stuff, but this will get you up and running.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I use the ball and dumb bells. Sears had dumb bells on sale for $1 a pound. I also got CAP dumb bells with free shipping online for $1 a pound in December. I now have collected 3,5,8,10,12,15,20 and 25 pound dumb bells over the past 6 months. I got a rack that they fit on with a small foot print. All told it cost about $225 over that time. It's a good start and I'm not sure about a bar bell but did buy an ez curl bar and some plates, also on sale.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Not a machine or weights but purchase yourself a step and some super cheesy 80's/90's step aerobics videos, mute the corny music and play whatever makes you happy and get an awesome cardio workout for pretty cheap at home!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    My local Craigslist is loaded with equipment, including plates, barbells, dos. Don't pay more than 50¢ per pound.