Can I really Eat Whatever I WANT?

Options
13»

Replies

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Mostly weighed out means there is room to improve accuracy. The fact that you make assumptions and guesswork to get your calories to a certain level by your own admission just reinforces the point that you are not accurately tracking your food. I know it's a pain in the butt to be militant, but if a person is not getting results not in line with what is expected, improving accuracy is a great starting point.
  • leanne0627
    leanne0627 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yeah i know that articles do not always site the research correctly thats why id like to see the actual research not just a write up about it. Cant seem to find it for free though it wants me to pay to read it. No thanks dont need it bad enough for that. But if someone has it already please msg me and email to me!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    leanne0627 wrote: »
    has anyone seen that Harvard study that showed more fat loss for those eating healtheir and less carbs then just calorie restriction. I know I've seen it but cant seem to find it now. No idea hoe accurate but if i recal the study correctly the Harvard scientists seemed to think that food quality did matter a bit.

Sad to say, every study that has been advertised as "Harvard scientists found out..." I've seen on here so far was pretty bad or didn't say what the articles claimed.

Logically speaking, if two diets were the same calorie count but one diet was significantly higher in protein (lets say 10% derived from protein vs 40%) I would suspect the higher protein diet would result in more weight loss due to the higher TEF from the protein. I don't know how long you would need to eat at the higher protein level to notice a statistically significant difference.

It does, it has been tested.
    1500 kcal diets, 15% protein vs. 35% protein resulted in... 21 kcal extra you burned. It's meaninglessly small for doing such a huge dietary change. I've posted the study a few times before, it talks about other ways calories are used differently in your body but comes to the conclusion eventually that the differences are not big enough to justify saying that a calorie is not a calorie.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/5/899S.full

It's my goto when these sorts of discussions pop up.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    has anyone seen that Harvard study that showed more fat loss for those eating healtheir and less carbs then just calorie restriction. I know I've seen it but cant seem to find it now. No idea hoe accurate but if i recal the study correctly the Harvard scientists seemed to think that food quality did matter a bit.

Sad to say, every study that has been advertised as "Harvard scientists found out..." I've seen on here so far was pretty bad or didn't say what the articles claimed.

Logically speaking, if two diets were the same calorie count but one diet was significantly higher in protein (lets say 10% derived from protein vs 40%) I would suspect the higher protein diet would result in more weight loss due to the higher TEF from the protein. I don't know how long you would need to eat at the higher protein level to notice a statistically significant difference.

1500 kcal diets, 15% protein vs. 35% protein resulted in... 21 kcal extra you burned. It's meaninglessly small for doing such a huge dietary change. I've posted the study a few times before, it talks about other ways calories are used differently in your body but comes to the conclusion eventually that the differences are not big enough to justify saying that a calorie is not a calorie.

Thanks will bookmark to read later.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Great job. :) 21 calories, that's the gum I buy from the vending machines to stave off cravings. It's not even worth logging (for me)
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    katiely95 wrote: »
    If I cook my own food, I do. I don't usually weigh restaurant stuff, if I'm out. I just go by whatever the calorie amount says!

I usually add a 100 calorie penalty when eating out. I'm sure the real difference is more.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Sorry, but for weight loss I trust my MFP buddies of any Harvard Study.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I think it matters a lot. I'm very selective.
    But you can eat whatever you want.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    It could be water retention since restaurant food tends to be much higher in sodium. Check your diary for sodium consumed each day. It might be over the recommended allowance of 2300mg. Good luck!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    Anything that has a calorie deficit will presumably result in weight loss. However, it has been proven that if you eat healthy vs unhealthy, consuming the same amount of calories in each diet, you will lose more from eating healthy. BUT, each will result in weight loss.

This has not been proven at all.

Unless you're talking about going low carb and dropping water weight. Calories for sustained weight loss, nutrition for health.

Well, actually, if you do a little research on the interwebs, or open up a college textbook based on nutrition, from a child development course, to a actual health and fitness course, you will find that a calorie isn't just a calorie, and the different types break down differently. I mean, actually there is probably high school texts that contain this information.

Breaking down differently does not automatically mean more or less weight loss.

If you truly believe that different types of foods of the exact same calorie value provide different sustained fat loss (not water weight etc) then I encourage you to provide 2+ peer reviewed high quality research studies that state it.

Surely can, and while I'm doing that...why don't you perform a self-experiment.

I eagerly await these studies.

Though I'm expecting two blog posts or an excerpt from a fad diet book.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Anything that has a calorie deficit will presumably result in weight loss. However, it has been proven that if you eat healthy vs unhealthy, consuming the same amount of calories in each diet, you will lose more from eating healthy. BUT, each will result in weight loss.

This has not been proven at all.

Unless you're talking about going low carb and dropping water weight. Calories for sustained weight loss, nutrition for health.

Well, actually, if you do a little research on the interwebs, or open up a college textbook based on nutrition, from a child development course, to a actual health and fitness course, you will find that a calorie isn't just a calorie, and the different types break down differently. I mean, actually there is probably high school texts that contain this information.

Breaking down differently does not automatically mean more or less weight loss.

If you truly believe that different types of foods of the exact same calorie value provide different sustained fat loss (not water weight etc) then I encourage you to provide 2+ peer reviewed high quality research studies that state it.

Surely can, and while I'm doing that...why don't you perform a self-experiment.

I eagerly await these studies.

Though I'm expecting two blog posts or an excerpt from a fad diet book.

Or a junk pseudoscience "study" from some knob like MercoLOLa or Taubes.