Do I NEED to go low carb to lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. We ate tons of rice for years, and still eat a decent bit. But over time we found some alternatives that are higher in protein and similar as a side dish. We actually like Farro, don't care much for Quinoa, but there are other choices.

The level of carbs you take in is up to you. Personally I find that most carbs in our diet are the lowest form of food and used more as just filling up carbs and not my stomach. But not always. I tend to lean more towards the proteins and fats as the things that I want to hit first if I want to stay satisfied after a meal.
  • RTH65
    RTH65 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I really appreciate it!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Short answer - No.

Longer answer - A low-carb diet won't make you lose weight any faster than any other way of eating, given equal calories between them. Nothing wrong with doing it if it works better for personal preference, satiety or adherence, but it's certainly not necessary in any way, shape or form. Some like it better, others find it difficult to adhere to. The best diet for weight loss is whichever one that will allow you to stick to your calories most consistently and provide the most satiety.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Cutting out and overly restricting carbs just set me up for carb binges. Like others have said, I try to eat them in moderation and be wise about selection of them. I like some fruits like clementines, occasional apple, berries. I like oats. Sweet potato. Those are my main carb sources aside from vegetables and pb2 having some carbs in it. Otherwise I tried to increase my proteins (chicken, tuna, salmon, greek yogurt, tilapia) recently & heslthy fats (almonds, avacado) mostly. Been helpful. The less carbs the less sugar cravings I found too though.
  • fractalsonfire
    fractalsonfire Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not having much trouble controlling my energy intake even though my diet has a large percentage of rice. i eat white basmati rice and its only 1000 kJ (225-250 cal) for 200g (takes up half the plate i use) which is pretty good. Controlling the amount of meat i can eat is far harder for me. Oh and avoiding bad snacks of course.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm South-east Asian. Yes, rice, bread and pasta are really hard to avoid (rice particularly has been THE staple food in my daily life). I've been trying to cut them, lessening the portion daily... can't run away from them.
  • RobotPhysique
    RobotPhysique Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    When I'm cutting I do low carbish-they are just calorie heavy
    What? Not following the logic here... Carbs = 4/g, pro = 4/g, fat = 9/g. Wouldn't that make fat "calorie heavy"?