• k_lethal
    k_lethal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I'm not recommending this or even know if it's a good idea, but sometimes when I get bad cravings at night I'll take a couple of alieve and I find within half an hour or so the cravings diminish long enough for me to get to sleep.

But I try to make sure I save enough calories from my day so that I can have a protein bar an hour or so before bed, I find the protein really curbs my appetite and allows me to sleep peacefully most nights.

Why would you take aleve when not in pain? Bad idea. You really shouldn't take NSAIDs for something like this, especially not on an empty stomach. It can increase the risk of bleeding.

You don't consider severe hunger pangs to be pain? I didn't suggest to use it all the time, just when the pangs are so bad it's keeping you awake.

Being hungry is not "pain" and not what the medication is designed for. Taking NSAIDS on an empty stomach increases the risk of GI bleeding, as does taking them more than needed.

Ok you are 100% right and you win the Internet for the day! Does that make you happy?

Please don't reply to any more of my posts.

Really, though, if you have to use OTC medication to control your hunger pangs, please consider using something other than Aleve. Take a couple of Tylenol, maybe, assuming your liver's in good shape. GI bleeds are no joke. They can kill you. I just had a young guy (38) in my clinic who overused NSAIDs like ibuprofen and Aleve, and he literally perforated his stomach - had all kinds of nasty stomach juices just swirling around his abdomen. He needed emergency surgery to repair the perforation and then literally wash him out. Now he has a big, difficult-to-heal mid-abdominal incision and a drain sticking out of him, never mind the pain.

Just consider using something else.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was talking once a week etc if you had a really bad hunger pang.... And I said alieve but I meant any type of otc pain killer seems to help for me. I also didn't mean to take a handful of them either.

If you have studies showing that taking a recommended dose of alieve once or twice a week is going to cause stomach bleeding and ulcers in anyone who uses it then you really should publish that paper in a medical journal.

Using scare tactics and worst case abuse scenarios seems to be a common theme on this site.

Anyway I don't care anymore... Enjoy being "right".

[edited by MFP Mods]

• Cheryllynnhagen
    Cheryllynnhagen Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    kelldoll wrote: »
    You read it right. My sleep has been disrupted in the middle of the night for months now. I'm 50 lbs overweight, trying to stay in my calorie goal, working 60+ hours a week, working out when I can, eating as best I can considering my situation.

I actually get hungry every 1/5-2 hours throughout my day. It wasn't until two nights ago that I figured out the reason I was waking in the middle of the night was that I was crazy hungry.

I ate a small snack before bed, slept the night through, and woke up ravenous.

What the heck am I supposed to do about this? Anyone. Please. Weightloss is becoming the impossible feat. I've dropped 40 lbs. I need to do the remaining 40-50.

Hi Kelldoll,

What are you starts?

What is your calorie goal?

How much per week are you trying to lose?

My first thought is you might not be eating enough.
  • mubanjiji
    mubanjiji Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try high fiber, high protein snack with water at bedtime. Water at bedside with nuts (almond) snack at bedside. Stick with diet. Allow body to lose weight more slowly if it needs to. Congrats on your amazing journey so far. Keep the faith. Stay on the path. You may move more slowly, but know in your spirit that you will get there!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kelldoll wrote: »
    You read it right. My sleep has been disrupted in the middle of the night for months now. I'm 50 lbs overweight, trying to stay in my calorie goal, working 60+ hours a week, working out when I can, eating as best I can considering my situation.

I actually get hungry every 1/5-2 hours throughout my day. It wasn't until two nights ago that I figured out the reason I was waking in the middle of the night was that I was crazy hungry.

I ate a small snack before bed, slept the night through, and woke up ravenous.

What the heck am I supposed to do about this? Anyone. Please. Weightloss is becoming the impossible feat. I've dropped 40 lbs. I need to do the remaining 40-50.

What is your age, height, weight and activity level?

Over what time frame have you lost your 40lbs

What is your goal weight loss and daily calorie limit and how do you choose / like to eat?

Are you weighing and accurately logging food, do you batch cook? Are you hitting minimum protein and fats? How many grammes?

I notice you are logging things like singing and spinning yarn as exercise calories ...you really shouldn't do that as that type of stuff is included in activity
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am having this same issue with sleeping for an hour, getting up and just needing to eat. Tonight I made like basicslly my bfast but it is 3am. I will wake up then and likely not eat til lunch. Throws my sleep off though. I ate 170 cals of food when I got up. Feel full and like I can sleep now. Had spinach egg white and mushroom with a fourth of a cup of NF greek yogurt mixed with protein powder. Should be enough protein to fill me. I am curious just what treatment is for this.. Sleep pills? I tried all OtC ones and no success.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have been eating roughly 1000 to 1200 cals a day. Yesterday had a slip up of 1600 cals approximately but was very active during day to combat that. Wanna sleep normal again :(
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I'm not recommending this or even know if it's a good idea, but sometimes when I get bad cravings at night I'll take a couple of alieve and I find within half an hour or so the cravings diminish long enough for me to get to sleep.

But I try to make sure I save enough calories from my day so that I can have a protein bar an hour or so before bed, I find the protein really curbs my appetite and allows me to sleep peacefully most nights.

Why would you take aleve when not in pain? Bad idea. You really shouldn't take NSAIDs for something like this, especially not on an empty stomach. It can increase the risk of bleeding.

It's an extraordinarily bad idea. Over time, this kind of practice can cause serious organ damage...to the point where you could wind up needing a liver or kidney transplant. Don't EVER ever take over-the-counter pain medications, especially Tylenol, unless you are in actual pain. Do not ever exceed the recommended dosages. OTC doesn't mean that a drug isn't dangerous.

You are probably swallowing your Aleve with water, right? That is probably what is making the difference.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Try having a glass of milk mixed with a scoop of casein before bed. Optimum nutrition does a yummy chocolate or choc/peanut butter flavour. Casein is high protein and slow digesting.

ETA: you can also add a TBS of chia seeds for extra protein, fibre and fat.

Yes--make sure that you are spending your calories wisely. You may need to increase your protein, fiber, fat and/or liquid. It's hard to know if nutrition is part of the issue since we cannot see your diary.

I wonder if more regular exercise would make a difference for you. Obviously, being more worn out can help you to sleep. Another benefit for those of us who have chronic pain issues is that the exercise endorphins help with pain. I wonder if pain,rather than hunger, is what is waking you up.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    I am having this same issue with sleeping for an hour, getting up and just needing to eat. Tonight I made like basicslly my bfast but it is 3am. I will wake up then and likely not eat til lunch. Throws my sleep off though. I ate 170 cals of food when I got up. Feel full and like I can sleep now. Had spinach egg white and mushroom with a fourth of a cup of NF greek yogurt mixed with protein powder. Should be enough protein to fill me. I am curious just what treatment is for this.. Sleep pills? I tried all OtC ones and no success.

The treatment is to eat enough to fuel your body. 1000 calories isn't enough.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Keeping hydrated throughout the day, making sure you eat a nice high protein meal at dinner time and saving calories for an evening snack should help

Hunger doesn't cause actual pain that requires medicating. Non steroidal anti inflammatory drug can cause bleeding and damage to the stomach, liver and oesophagus. Common sense says eat a snack or drink a protein shake before resorting to medication

Well done on your weight loss already, I hope you find the answer and continue to lose xx
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    I was talking once a week etc if you had a really bad hunger pang.... And I said alieve but I meant any type of otc pain killer seems to help for me. I also didn't mean to take a handful of them either.

If you have studies showing that taking a recommended dose of alieve once or twice a week is going to cause stomach bleeding and ulcers in anyone who uses it then you really should publish that paper in a medical journal.

Using scare tactics and worst case abuse scenarios seems to be a common theme on this site.

Anyway I don't care anymore... Enjoy being "right".

[edited by MFP Mods]

You might want to check this out. OTC pain meds are potentially dangerous and you are not using them in a correct, safe or responsible way. Please educate yourself.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/505/use-only-as-directed