Question for runners

Options
2»

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    My major focus right now is Boston, and I've started running 6 days a week to get there. In the past year, I've run 5 days a week and 4 days a week; on non-running days, I walk.

But I also need to do other things to support my running habit. Most distance runners will tell you they need to do some form of core work, and some form of strength training. The details will vary, but the general idea is to strengthen whatever is the weakest part of your running chain. Then when that's no longer the *weakest*, you will find something else that needs strength training.

Right now, I do push-ups, pull-ups, hib abductor/adductor exercises, bridges with leg lifts (exercise given to me by a PT), one leg calf raises on a block with weights, kettlebell Turkish get-ups with a windmill at the top, kettlebell swings, and kettlebell snatches. That sounds like a lot, but I don't put a whole lot of time into any of them. Total of all or them might add up to 25 or 30 minutes, and mostly fits into the empty time slots in the middle of my breakfast routine; the big piece is when the steel cut oats are simmering. I tend to use moderately heavy kettlebells (35 lb. for the TGU/windmill combo, 40 lb. for the swings and snatches), and I count reps. That is because I am more focused on the strength aspect than the cardio aspect of kettlebells. I get plenty of cardio from running.

For those who care, I get some core work out of the push-ups, pull-ups, and especially the TGU/windmill combo. The TGUs also contain a lunge, which helps the quads. The windmill contains a hamstring stretch. The kettlebell swings and snatches work the hinge movement of the hip big time, helping the hamstrings and the lower back muscles. The calf raises have an embedded calf stretch, though I really do them for the work on the extrinsic foot muscles. The pattern is, I don't like direct core work and direct stretches very much; so I do things that include core work and stretches while doing other stuff too. Yes, I also stretch after running.

This is obviously not the only way to work all the stuff I need to work; but it's a way that works for my temperament and time availability. Other people will find other solutions to meet similar needs.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I work out with a trainer lifting for 30 minutes a week and try to get in 2-3 heavy lifting sessions with Strong Lifts. That program is pretty quick (30-45 minutes). The trainer sessions are more lifting focused than HIIT but he keeps me moving from lift to lift enough and he uses higher reps (usually 2-3 sets of 8-12) than the 5 sets of 5 in strong lifts.

I have only been at this for about a year - so both the running and lifting are still in rapid progress stage. It is impossible to say for certain what is helping the most - but I really believe the lifting (which I started after injuring myself with running alone when I probably increased mileage too quickly) helped dramatically both with speed and with decreasing injury. I noticed an improvement in my form after working on core strength. Squats and lunges help immensely when you have to run up hill - or just with running faster.

You will be best served by deciding what YOUR goals are and what exercise YOU enjoy. I decided I want to run, but I am not going to be a professional runner. I am not even going to make that the main focus of my life and most weeks I only run 3 times (but usually at least one of those runs is 10 miles or more and usually they are all at least 5 -6 miles). I want to be healthy, in good shape, and be able to eat enough calories that I do not feel deprived - and I want to have enough free time not dedicated to working out that I can enjoy myself. The combination of running and weight lifting that I do works for me.