Replies

• SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    I highly recommend toilet yoga to raise your metabolism!:laugh:
    toilet-yoga-640x348.jpg

WIN!
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Carbs help raise your metabolism and your body produces insulin in respnse to all foods

Lots of things, including some medicines, cause you to release insulin, which is a peptide hormone. Some things, like highly refined carbs (carbs that are broken down easily by the digestive tract), cause higher levels of blood glucose which causes more insulin to be released; some things, like protein and fat, cause less insulin to be released.

Since high blood glucose levels stimulate the release of insulin, this allows glucose to be taken up and used by insulin-dependent tissues.

Glucagon, also a peptide hormone, raises blood glucose levels too, but its effect is opposite that of insulin. Glucagon is released when blood glucose levels fall too low. Glucagon first causes the liver to convert stored glycogen into glucose, which is released into the bloodstream, and when the supply of glycogen is depleted, glucagon mobilizes fat, which is basically a store of energy. The fat breaks down into a component called free fatty acid and goes into the liver for energy.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Bump
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Just exercise, and preserve or build muscle, and don't eat at too high of a deficit. You can try to get the rocket science answers, but I find it's easier to just try the above before trying to fully understand all the research, lol.

I find a huge difference in my own metabolism (well, ability to lose weight, which is a little different) by exercising compared to just calorie restriction. The science on that probably has to do with my PCOS and insulin metabolism, but I knew it long before I read about all of that stuff ;) Just try some of the suggestions and see what fits!
  • floridapanthergirl
    floridapanthergirl Posts: 87 Member
    definitely a bump to come back to. What is reasonable in terms of lowering body fat? I understand that dropping pounds and body fat at the same time is really tough. I am wanting to set a goal for this year in terms of body fat and am not sure where to go with it. I have about 30 pounds left to go and am about 40% body fat. Would like to be 30% by the end of the year. Is that reasonable?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Eat less and move more. You aren't going to get fit without putting in the work.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    definitely a bump to come back to. What is reasonable in terms of lowering body fat? I understand that dropping pounds and body fat at the same time is really tough. I am wanting to set a goal for this year in terms of body fat and am not sure where to go with it. I have about 30 pounds left to go and am about 40% body fat. Would like to be 30% by the end of the year. Is that reasonable?

30lb in a year is totally reasonable and a good goal imo.