Pregnant and need to Gain Weight

Options
I'm 5'6 and weigh under 150, am almost 12 weeks along, and so far I've lost about 6lbs or more due to undereating. I can't seem to pack in enough calories, and I am supposed to be gaining about 1lb per week starting in the second trimester. I started to track my calories to keep an eye on how much I'm eating per day, and my calorie goal is about 2,560 calories per day. I'm routinely a couple hundred calories or more away from reaching my goal, and I just can't seem to pack in those last few hundred. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am dairy sensitive, so I try my best to stay away from dairy products.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• michellelkaether
    michellelkaether Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Thank you! The list was a bit helpful, but my goal isn't to just eat whatever to pack on the pounds, either. It needs to be healthy, preferably non-dairy foods. I walk 2 miles a day, so I burn calories. I need high-calorie high-protein foods, to be honest.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • michellelkaether
    Options
    Peanut butter

I eat PB about three times a day, usually paired with a whole banana, a slice of multi grain bread, or on top of a waffle or pancake. I do love PB! :)
  • TobyTimmyNala
    TobyTimmyNala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Avocados
  • michellelkaether
    Options
    Avocados

That's a great idea. I can't stand guacamole, do you have any suggestions on ways I could eat avocados that don't involve them being a mashed, icky green goo? Lol. :)

• TavistockToad
    Options
    Houmous is high calorie too
  • michellelkaether
    Options

Would pretzels be a good item to pair with hummus, to get in some carbs, or would you suggest something else instead? I try to pair foods, both to boost nutrition & also to pack more calories into each snack or mini-meal. Being pregnant, I am unable to eat a full meal in one sitting, or I'll simply get too full and puke it all up, which is no fun! Not being able to eat full meals & having to eat multiple small ones throughout the day is also making it hard to get as many calories in as I need.
  • TobyTimmyNala
    Options
    Avocados

That's a great idea. I can't stand guacamole, do you have any suggestions on ways I could eat avocados that don't involve them being a mashed, icky green goo? Lol. :)

I like to halve the avocado and cut into chunks and just salt and pepper it!

• TobyTimmyNala
    Options
    Also when you cook, cook in some oil that will add some extra calories without adding too much to make you feel too full.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    1 spoon of olive oil somewhere? Isn't it like 160 calories a tablespoon?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Would pretzels be a good item to pair with hummus, to get in some carbs, or would you suggest something else instead? I try to pair foods, both to boost nutrition & also to pack more calories into each snack or mini-meal. Being pregnant, I am unable to eat a full meal in one sitting, or I'll simply get too full and puke it all up, which is no fun! Not being able to eat full meals & having to eat multiple small ones throughout the day is also making it hard to get as many calories in as I need.

Depends what you like eating and how much you can eat. Adding houmous to a salad or sandwich would up your cals without too much volume. Or add it as a snack with some breadsticks?
  • michellelkaether
    Options
    Adding hummus to a sandwich is a great idea. I'll have to try that!

I'll also try eating a raw avocado with salt & pepper...that sounds pretty good right about now!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Adding hummus to a sandwich is a great idea. I'll have to try that!

I'll also try eating a raw avocado with salt & pepper...that sounds pretty good right about now!

I find it goes well with ham! What sort of bread do you use? Maybe try something more calorific - seeded etc or a bagel?
  • michellelkaether
    Options
    I eat either a high-fiber multi grain bread, or a bread that's made from live sprouted whole grains, called Ezekiel Bread. It's extremely healthy and I absolutely love the taste, but it's definitely not as high in calories as other options.
  • sbelle07
    sbelle07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Add grass fed butter and/or coconut oil to everything. If you aren't eating eggs, add a couple of them...they are GREAT for you and also your baby's brain. Drink whole milk. Make shakes with cacao and almond butter and banana, etc. Drink protein shakes in between meals and snacks. You could add avocado to chocolate smoothies.

I had same problem. I am 5'6" and started at 113. I had a hard time gaining. Now a few months post partum I am 104 and have started tracking to try to pack on some lbs!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Always have high cal snacks on hand to add to your lower cal veggies and fruit options: nuts, nut butters, bagels, crackers, dips, boiled eggs, precooked sweet potatoes, leftover roasted meats. If you cannot do dairy there are vegetarian options for shake mixes. I like hemp seed protein powder and will add in a tsp of coconut oil, spinach, bananna/berries/Apple, peanut butter, almond milk. And blend well. You could make up a large one in the morn and sip on it over a few hours in between meal and snacks instead of making it a meal on its own. That way you constantly have calories coming in but don't get overly full.

I like to scoop out half an avacado(I eat what I scoop of course, leave the half in its shell, crack in an egg and bake it. I top with hot sauce for a yummy breakfast.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Be sure to get plenty of the nutrients that your body will cannibalize itself to feed the baby - iron and calcium come to mind immediately, but there might be more. Also be sure to get plenty of omega 3 to support brain and eye development.
  • SMean1
    SMean1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy weight gain charts are JUST guidelines. Most babies will take whatever is needed from their mothers so it's best just to maintain your normal eating habits unless unhealthy and only adding 300-400 calories a day. However, protein is your best friend if you want to gain weight. Attached are recent links for pregnant moms. http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-body/nutrition/15-pregnancy-power-foods1/#page=2
    http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/photo-gallery/8-protein-rich-foods-for-pregnancy-plus-great-ways-to-eat-them
    http://www.babble.com/pregnancy/10-protein-foods/
    http://www.webmd.com/baby/features/must-eat-foods-pregnancy
    Maybe there are one or two nuggets in the articles that fit you. Just remember, there is no such thing as eating for two; you are eating for you and the baby needs you to be at your best for them. Hope that helps. Best
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Lol if you have a chipotle eat lots of there burritos lol or even homemade ones! I get enemic while pregnant and always lose weight my first couple months of pregnancy so I ate lots of burritos and that helped me gain 1.5lbs a week lol it was great :)