Thinking Back to LA Weightloss

Options
Some years back, I did the whole LA Weightloss program. I lost over sixty pounds and felt GREAT! Only problem using it was I did not learn how to maintain. I got 'stuck' and just plummeted. I gained fifty of the pounds back and am miserable. I have already started back on getting back into the healthy realm of things, but I was wondering why they pushed those protein bars on you.

I seriously wonder what made the weight fall off successfully as it did..about three pounds a week, sometimes more. I keep hearing raves about Quest Bars and Pure Protein. Are these bars TRULY for weightloss or mainly for those who work out hardcore?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    why not count calories, exercise and not pay for 'programs' that don't teach you how to maintain your weight once you get there (and if you get there)

ive lost 70+ pounds and not a system other than MFP anywhere in sight...
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure where the information about me not counting calories was implied, but that is why I am using MFP. Like I mentioned previously, I used that program several years ago. It is not a continued use. I am asking about the bars they pushed and why others are raving about other protein bars. Thanks for your input though. Awesome on your success.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Those bars aren't really for weight loss. People eat them because they like them and they help them meet their calorie and/or nutritional goals. They don't produce weight loss of themselves.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a protein bar can help with feeling full. It does & doesn't work for me. Plus, protein bars are often fairly caloric, so it's important to count them. They're convenient, that's a plus. It all comes down to personal preference and calorie goals, in my opinion.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I like to have a Quest Cookies n Cream bar when I feel like having candy or chocolates... But it only helps with getting a little protein and fiber in, not necessarily weight loss.
  • jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I also like a nice protein bar to satisfy my sweet/chocolate cravings (there are some that are pretty dang tasty!) Since they can be pretty high in calories, I usually eat them after a hard workout. That way the extra calories don't throw me off for the day, and the protein is good for muscle recovery.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I have a protein bar for breakfast sometimes when I need something easy and quick. It also helps with my protein goal since I don't eat a lot of meat. But overall, you don't need them to lose weight.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I do like the Quest bars. Prefer cinnamon roll, but coconut cashew is okay. I use them for breakfast because I don't like many breakfast foods, it is easy, and it helps me get in enough protein.

They aren't magic, but if you had success using bars before you can definitely try them.

I have read that for some people that really have problems with sweets they can be a trigger to want more sweets. That hasn't been a problem for me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I like to have a Quest Cookies n Cream bar when I feel like having candy or chocolates... But it only helps with getting a little protein and fiber in, not necessarily weight loss.

Same here. There's nothing in protein bars or shakes that will make you lose weight. You lost weight while you were on that program because you ate in a calorie deficit, nothing magical about it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    It didn't work because you didn't LEARN how to eat without bars. Guess what? Weight loss/gain/maintenance is dependent on calories. Learn to control your calories and you learn how to lose/gain/maintain your weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    The bars don't help with weight loss, it's just something for them to sell you. If they help you create a calorie deficit, great, but it was the deficit that did it, not the bars themselves.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I suppose I can see how bars are good for those sweet cravings and won't knock you out. Might be good for a breakfast alternative when on the run. I know bars aren't magic, but I did wonder if the LA kind had some drug inside. Haha.

Honestly, that program was not easy on the calories. I tried to track what I ate calorie wise and it was pretty outrageous. I can tell you it was over 2,500 and I could not eat all I was supposed to eat. They eventually worked it down different levels as I lost the weight.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Any program that is totally different from your normal routine and something that you only do for a limited time is a recipe for failure.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I suppose I can see how bars are good for those sweet cravings and won't knock you out. Might be good for a breakfast alternative when on the run. I know bars aren't magic, but I did wonder if the LA kind had some drug inside. Haha.

Honestly, that program was not easy on the calories. I tried to track what I ate calorie wise and it was pretty outrageous. I can tell you it was over 2,500 and I could not eat all I was supposed to eat. They eventually worked it down different levels as I lost the weight.

Are you sure about that calorie count ? That would imply your TDEE is over 4000 calories which I find hard to believe
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Are you sure about that calorie count ? That would imply your TDEE is over 4000 calories which I find hard to believe

Honestly, I don't even know what TDEE stands for, but yes I am sure with what the calories were when I was participating in that program. Like I said, I tracked what I ate and what they were pushing. Add in all the starches, dairy, fats, fruits, veggies, bars, and any other snacks, drinks, or whatnot.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Honestly, I don't even know what TDEE stands for, but yes I am sure with what the calories were when I was participating in that program. Like I said, I tracked what I ate and what they were pushing. Add in all the starches, dairy, fats, fruits, veggies, bars, and any other snacks, drinks, or whatnot.

Total Daily Energy Expenditure ...your age, height, weight, activity level, purposeful exercise determines how many calories you use up in a day...

In order to lose weight you need to eat less than you burn (TDEE) ...roughly 3500 calories = 1lb so defecit of 1500 calories per day would roughly equate to a 3lb weekly loss

There is no way you were eating 2500 calories - sorry, you have incorrectly calculated somewhere. What is your MFP calorie allowance?

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I eat protein bars very, very occasionally. They are very small in volume, so i dont like to eat them as a meal replacement....i dont feel satitated or full.

They are higher in calories than real candy bars (and not as tasty), so if im craving candy i eat a real candy bar and work it into my calories.