January Whole30

Options
nikkipaige
nikkipaige Posts: 23 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am going to be starting my second Whole30 starting Monday (so technically it won't just be January, it'll run slightly into February). It's such a hard diet to stick with, so I would looooove some support of anyone else who is planning a January Whole30, or who has done/is planning to do one, as well!

Feel free to add me and we can keep each other on track!

Replies

• KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, of it's such a hard diet to stick to, why do you feel the need to do it?
    Cutting out things like legumes, grains and dairy seems unnecessarily over restrictive (unless you have allergies to all these foods). Over restricting can often lead to bingeing or over eating.

Are you planning on continuing this after the 30 days? If not, it may be time to come up with a different plan. The people who lose weight AND keep it off long term are almost always the ones who make lifestyle changes. By creating a plan now that you can still stick with 3 months, or even 3 years, down the line, you're more likely to keep the weight off.

Either way, I wish you luck with whatever you chose to do. :)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there's a whole 30 group here but reddit has a whole 30 group:

https://www.reddit.com/r/whole30

That said, if it's such a hard "diet" to stick with, why do it? Why not do a "diet" that's sustainable?
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »
    With all due respect, of it's such a hard diet to stick to, why do you feel the need to do it?
    Cutting out things like legumes, grains and dairy seems unnecessarily over restrictive (unless you have allergies to all these foods). Over restricting can often lead to bingeing or over eating.

Are you planning on continuing this after the 30 days? If not, it may be time to come up with a different plan. The people who lose weight AND keep it off long term are almost always the ones who make lifestyle changes. By creating a plan now that you can still stick with 3 months, or even 3 years, down the line, you're more likely to keep the weight off.

The whole 30 isn't a diet so to speak, its an elimination plan that helps you determine if you are sensitive to any of the foods it restricts. After the 30 days you reintroduce the foods one at a time and make note of how you feel. For a lot of people it's a good reset. It's not meant to be the rest of your life, but a jumping off point. I will be starting one in January as well as a way to get myself back on track after the holidays and break some bad habits that crept in.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    cmarangi wrote: »
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »

The whole 30 isn't a diet so to speak, its an elimination plan that helps you determine if you are sensitive to any of the foods it restricts. After the 30 days you reintroduce the foods one at a time and make note of how you feel. For a lot of people it's a good reset. It's not meant to be the rest of your life, but a jumping off point. I will be starting one in January as well as a way to get myself back on track after the holidays and break some bad habits that crept in.

Ah that makes a lot more sense now, I did a quick search on it but there was no mention of reintroducing foods so I apologise if I misunderstood the reason behind doing it.

That being said, I still stick with the 'If it's hard to stick to it's probably over restrictive'. It's all well and good eliminating foods you're sensitive to but a lot of people do seem to take cutting out certain foods a bit too far. It's all about balance :)