So who else gains a pound or two and completely freaks out?

Options
I am short and when I gain a lb or two I can tell. When my pants get tight and I feel huge it affects me badly. I get moody and depressed. And I think it's time for a lifestyle change!
No more binge/mood eating! No more going to work worried I look like a cow! I'm ready to get it together! I'm ready!

Replies

• Geezgigi
    Geezgigi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I freak out over the same 4 pounds I keep losing and gaining! =) I'm with you 100%! Lets do this!
  • heatherdt2000
    heatherdt2000 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Me too! Mines 5 lbs. We hang out then I ditch them then they come back to play. Ugh! Over it!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options
    You do realize that 4-6 pounds variation is weight is completely normal even in a person maintaining weight?
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You will probably always fluctuate between a few pounds. So what's your game plan? Are you going to aim for a few pounds below what you see as your ideal weight? That way when you gain that pound or two you won't freak out?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    You do realize that 4-6 pounds variation is weight is completely normal even in a person maintaining weight?

And happens very regularly during PMS or TOM, depending on the woman. I gain approximately 4 pounds every month before TOM (retaining water) and lose it again right after.
  • heatherdt2000
    Options
    I don't know much about weight gain or loss other than the amount of stress it causes me and my waistline
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    if you're gaining and losing the same few pounds, that's called maintenance. body weight isn't static, it fluctuates constantly. most people can fluctuate a good 3-5 Lbs day to day and throughout the day.
  • heatherdt2000
    Options
    My goal is to lose 8lbs and keep it off!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about weight gain or loss other than the amount of stress it causes me and my waistline

Stick around and learn what can cause it (hormones, increased exercise, increased sodium- all causes water weight) and it will help ease the stress. When I joined and started learning about these things I stopped stressing over the fluctuations.
  • heatherdt2000
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

Stick around and learn what can cause it (hormones, increased exercise, increased sodium- all causes water weight) and it will help ease the stress. When I joined and started learning about these things I stopped stressing over the fluctuations.

Thank you!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options

Not knowing may be what is leading to your stress. Frankly, weight alone is a less than helpful measure of progress since things other than fat can cause changes to weight. As I stated, 4-6 pounds variation from day to day is not unusual. Freaking out over it, especially as a woman who will have big water weight changes due to your monthly cycle is not particularly helpful or healthful from mental health standpoint.

Learning about how weight changes due to water retention, and what results in you retaining water can be really helpful. If you want to lose weight to have a lower point around which your weight will fluctuate, then you need to set a reasonable pace of weight loss, probably no more than a pound a week, carefully measure your food (food scale for solids and measuring cups/spoons for liquids), and log consistently keeping to the calorie goal Myfitnesspal gives you.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The flip side of this is being bigger, being able to seemingly gain 20-30lbs in a relatively short amount of time, having it make no visual difference/clothing size difference, but "feeling it." Once this summer I got close to 250. That's up from 222. I'm 230 now. I've look mostly the same (cheeks get chubbier) and can only recall one t-shirt that fits snugger anyways not fitting very flatteringly on me. Same 38 pants. Same L/XL shirts. Same underwear. Same everything. When I start to be active though that's when I notice it. 20/30lbs is 20/30lbs afterall.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    also with only 8 Lbs to lose, be advised that it will be a pretty slow process and you aren't going to have a whole lot of margin for error like you would if you were bigger.

i gain 8-10 Lbs pretty much every winter...i'm still in a healthy BF% range for me so it comes off slowly as i just don't have the fat stores to burn...usually 3 months or so.
  • heatherdt2000
    Options
    Thanks so much for the support! I'm learning so much already!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Set up an account on trendweight, this will allow you to see your trends and smooth out weight fluctuations. You need to set up a fitbit account though, you don't need a fitbit to make an account. Weigh yourself everyday, log the number into your fitbit account, which will then automatically sync with trendweight and MFP. Easy peasy :+1:

https://trendweight.com/dashboard/

https://www.fitbit.com/