How did you fare over the holidays?

Options
Just out of curiosity, I'd like to hear about how we handled ourselves through the holidays and what the outcome was.

What was your original plan going into the holidays?
What did you actually do?
Did you gain, lose, or maintain?
What are you going to do now that the holidays are (pretty much) over?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i planned to enjoy myself and i did. i usually gain 8-10 Lbs every winter. it comes right off in the spring when i start racking up the miles on the bike.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Original plan: Adjusted MFP to lose 1 pound a week and planned to keep logging. Lots of work-outs to make up for any indulgences.
    Actual experience: A couple buffets, many big dinners, some holidays treats. Still tried to keep in mind what I was eating, but didn't beat myself up for indulging. Didn't log for a few days over Christmas. Felt very full for several days. Worked out less than usual.
    Final weigh-in status: Still managed to lose a pound - have no idea how!
    Next step: Re-committed to logging and meeting my calorie goals.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    My weight was at the lowest possible number so far right after Christmas. But I have the advantage of not really celebrating Christmas.

Anyway, my plan was to eat anything I wanted, and I did. I especially wanted to fit in mulled wine, traditional Christmas pastries and some great chocolate. I got to eat all of those, too!
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Lost a single pound instead of 1.5. Stayed on track every day but, christmas eve when i went hog wild on oberweis ice cream cake and homemade cookies.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    My original plan was to eat all the foods, my hubs made a fantastic xmas dinner and there was no way I was depriving myself! What did I do? I ate all the foods and didn't worry about it since I knew I was going to go right back to my "plan". I did gain some water weight, about 2-3 lbs but already it's gone.

What am I going to do now that the holidays are over? The same thing I've been doing since it's obviously working.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    Thursday morning the 24th, 229.9lbs. Saturday the 26th 238.7lbs. Because that makes sense. 231 this morning. It's mostly BS because there's noooooooooooooooo way I ate 3500 calories over my TDEE for the 2 days. Christmas Eve I only had two meals. Christmas one meal. Whatever though.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My original plan was to not log the whole week of Christmas and to eat all the food.
    I logged most days and I still ate a good amount of the food.
    I gained 5 lbs, most of which is now gone.
    Back on track.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, I'd like to hear about how we handled ourselves through the holidays and what the outcome was.

What was your original plan going into the holidays? Ignore calories, but keep within normal blood glucose ranges by limiting carbs
    What did you actually do? What I planned - but since I don't actually enjoy much that is calorie dense unless it is bread or sweet fat, I ended up staying within my normal calorie cap. I did manage to have several small pieces of Godiva chocolates :)
    Did you gain, lose, or maintain? Lost 1.2 lbs
    What are you going to do now that the holidays are (pretty much) over? Same old, same old.
  • sgarrand
    sgarrand Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Original plan: Buffet on Christmas Eve, eat whatever on Christmas. Back to plan after.
    Actually did: The original plan above.
    Gain / Lose / Maintain: I gained 3.8 pounds according to the scale. 2.6 of that is gone, the rest will follow soon.
    Plan going forward: Keep on truckin' with counting and keeping calories where they need to be. No New Year's festivities here. Goal is to see 170s (183 now) and see where it goes from there. I could maintain the low 180s at 6 feet tall but I want to see what my body is capable of.
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I got down to my lowest weight before Christmas, and only gained 2 lbs. Quite impressed!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    No plan going into the holidays. Was not going to avoid any treats.
    Stopped logging around Thanksgiving.
    Have not weighed, probably up a couple pounds, but clothes fit fine.
    Plan going forward is return to maintenance calories and maybe log again. Not sure.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Original plan -- Maintain weight.

What I actually did -- Lost a pound.

What I'm doing now -- Still trying to figure out maintenance calories.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I planned on enjoying myself and not counting anything on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, then getting back on track on Boxing Day. Which is exactly what I did. I avoided the scale for a few days because that was better for my mind. I weighed myself this morning and was up less than half a pound from what I was before Christmas. I would consider this a great success.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »

What was your original plan going into the holidays?
    What did you actually do?
    Did you gain, lose, or maintain?
    What are you going to do now that the holidays are (pretty much) over?

I had no plan. I made English toffee - nuts and all - and felt as though I tried to eat it all myself. Had a cookie exchange at work and got to sample SO many different kinds of sugar concoctions. I only ran my 5k three times instead of five. I logged my daily food and exercise but made no effort to 'control' my calorie consumption. What happened? No big surprise, I didn't lose weight. Didn't gain weight either, though. Actually found myself slipping into another size smaller in pants! Still trying to re-establish the 'old' habit of a morning 5k and a controlled dietary regimen of around 2000 calories while simultaneously adding yoga to my schedule to help my neck and lower back.

So... what happened? Not much. I enjoyed the 'down time' with no regrets.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My plan was to limit the damage, and I honestly didn't do too bad, it was just bad timing because I had a wedding between Thanksgiving and Christmas too, and they ALL fell during my usual 'less hungry' days when I typically keep a big deficit, so it looks like I've gained 3-4 pounds overall in the last 2 months... so I'm back to a 300 calorie deficit to try and lose at least some of that before PMS strikes again...
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    By the way...
    Congratulations to all of you who have learned to enjoy the holidays and accept the inevitable 'gluttony'. You will enjoy life so much just being able to do that! Again, CONGRATULATIONS!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have a plan so I guess you could say I followed it very well! I ate what I wanted, but I worked just as much as usual so there wasn't much time to sit around eating. I am down half a pound without having consistently logged for two weeks. So now back to work to lose the last 8 pounds :)
  • ivy6154
    ivy6154 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Better than usual, but Ive just started watching my calories..quite the revelation!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I didn't log or restrict but tried to be reasonable. Lost .5lb between Thanksgiving & Christmas. Got right back to lifting as soon as I got home from visiting family & friends. I'm now up .5 lb (post Christmas) from my lowest and hope to lose this week as I'm back to logging & regular exercise. Not bad, really.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    the holidays arent even over yet

ask me this weekend

i ate a tonne of food though and plan to tomorrow as well