Bear spray for hiking in woods

Options
Bear spray mentioned on another thread got me thinking it's probably way past time to get fresh pepper spray. My method on the rare occasions that I have encountered bear or coyotes is to back away slowly, but it makes friends and family feel better that I have pepper spray with me when hiking in the woods. But if I'm going to carry it, I should have some that's not ancient.

I looked on Amazon and was overwhelmed by the options so was wondering what those of you who carry bear spray use and why. Due to my state's regulations, I may need something that specifies animal defense in order for it to be shipped to me.

Here are tips on bears and bear spray from my state: http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/fish-wildlife-plants/mammals/black-bear-encounter-nebbtc.pdf

Again, this is not something I think I will ever have to actually use. I've been seeing likely signs of coyotes lately and my first impression is COOL not FEAR.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Well at least if you hike in the woods and see a bear, your heart rate increases. ;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Mine probably needs updating too. Thanks
  • youngmomtaz
    Options
    For the reminder.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've been seeing likely signs of coyotes lately and my first impression is COOL not FEAR.
    Then you are far braver than me. When I see signs of coyotes and bears, my first is impression is not COOL... it's more like I'M F**KED...

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've been seeing likely signs of coyotes lately and my first impression is COOL not FEAR.
    Then you are far braver than me. When I see signs of coyotes and bears, my first is impression is not COOL... it's more like I'M F**KED...

Well, my heart rate did skyrocket when I saw the bear, but he was way far away, and that was in a different part of the state. I haven't seen any bear signs here. I wouldn't be in a position where I hike where a coyote wouldn't be able to retreat. My understanding is they would only be dangerous if they felt threatened. Or were rabid.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/fish-wildlife-plants/mammals/resolving-conflicts-with-coyotes.html
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    They seem adverse to high velocity lead projectiles but I've never encountered a black bear in the woods that didn't take off as soon as it realized I was there. Coyotes are usually gone well before you know they're around. Of course both will attack if threatened or really, really hungry but I think your odds of being attacked are pretty slim if you're on a marked trail.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    We have some major hiking plans in Yellowstone when the weather warms up, we need new bear spray too.

You are suppose to also make lots of noise to let the bears know you're coming, but with my crew of rowdy boys (ten year old twin boys and their eleven year old brother)... all of nature knows we're coming.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I think I would bring me a bear home to play with the kitty. good friends.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I had a friend get attacked by 2 coyotes last month. She and her 80# dog managed to fend them off without getting injured. She used bear spray and was on a well-marked trail in northern CA. She didn't see a den anywhere, and it was in the afternoon.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I bought some bear spray from a local outdoor recreation retail store. I kept it in my car while camping though the first few times. I seemed to have a picture in my head that I would spray myself, and end up looking like a preseasoned snack pack for the bears. :laugh: Are there some local retailers who specialize in this type of stuff where you can go check it out and ask questions?
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Coyotes and bears are pretty skittish and easily scared except around parks. Regular pepper spray is probably ok. It's the dogs that get dumped out in the woods and become feral that you should really be aware of. I've had more scary moments with them than anything in the woods.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I bought some bear spray from a local outdoor recreation retail store. I kept it in my car while camping though the first few times. I seemed to have a picture in my head that I would spray myself, and end up looking like a preseasoned snack pack for the bears. :laugh: Are there some local retailers who specialize in this type of stuff where you can go check it out and ask questions?

I looked at the websites of a few local gun stores. None of them mentioned pepper spray specifically. I will stop in next time I'm near one.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I had a friend get attacked by 2 coyotes last month. She and her 80# dog managed to fend them off without getting injured. She used bear spray and was on a well-marked trail in northern CA. She didn't see a den anywhere, and it was in the afternoon.

Ok, that's a brand of bear spray I need to know!
  • youngmomtaz
    Options
    We have tons of bears around here. I see one probably weekly when they are not hibernating. 98% of the time they run away when I see them. I called for a ride once because it seemed(I felt like) I was being stalked. I am not overly scared of the bears. Coyotes scare me though. They get nasty and brave in groups and have been stalking people and pets in MB in recent years. They are getting larger too as they seem to be breeding with Wolves occasionally.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    If you're in bear country don't forget to wear the bells.
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    So, just a reminder for everyone who hasn't ever actually used pepper spray before, you will inevitably experience some of whatever you spray, every time you spray it. Yeah, they make some super high strength bear spray, but having personally been in the general vicinity of regular pepper spray I stick to the less intense stuff. The last thing I want it a pissed off bear seeking vengeance when my eyes are watering so bad I can't see and I'm fighting to breathe at all because I wasn't lucky enough to have a strong wind coming from behind me. I highly recommend practicing using your spray once in a while so you are familiar with iy BEFORE an emergency--it really helps you realize how damn messy and inconvenient the stuff is.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Everyone is advising me to have wasp spray.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

Why bells?
  • kshama2001
    Options

Why bells?

Because bears prefer to retreat from you if they have the opportunity, and the bell lets them know you are there earlier.

Not recommending this brand; saw it when I was looking at spray yesterday: http://www.amazon.com/Sabre-BB-01-RD-Frontiersman-Bear-Bell/dp/B005CSOASI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451575536&sr=8-2&keywords=bear+bells

• youngmomtaz
    Options
    I usually have music playing on my iPhone. And my dog comes along to make extra noise. The bells can annoy the crap outta me.

Anyone hear the joke about signage posted at the entrance of a hiking trail?

"These woods are home to both black bears and grizzley bears. Please take proper precautions by wearing bear bells and carrying pepper spray. You can see if bears are in the area by looking for their droppings. Black bear droppings smell like s*** and contain berries and seeds. Grizzly bear droppings smell like pepper and contain bells".

I am happy manitoba is home to the blackbear and not the grizzley.