New Year's Menu

Options
What is your menu for New Year's? I have kids, and I'm doing a cheese/fruit/cracker plate and crudités, potato-cheddar chowder, and graham cracker eclair cake. I haven't decided if I like this menu well enough to make it Tradition.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking at home this year for my husband and toddler which is nice. I'm doing Caprese salad with Bufala mozzarella, pappardelle pasta in Bolognese sauce (beef, pork and veal), sauteed rapini with garlic and arugula salad. For dessert making chocolate covered strawberries and Nutella mousse. Unfortunately no wine or champagne for me this year (since I'm pregnant) but I'll make myself a fancy non-alcoholic cocktail :)
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am hosting a pre-New Years Eve Party (from 5-7PM, so pre-other parties.) I have invited a few of my neighbors to come over before they head out to parties.

Today, I made a few appetizers for that. Spinach Dip (using fresh spinach); Italian Stuffed Peppers (stuffed with Albacore Tuna); Seared Deviled Eggs (won't sear until guests arrive); Brie and a selection of bread and vegetables. A couple of photos (from past parties).

Then, once everyone has left, my dinner will be Mussels in White Wine and Champagne. I haven't selected the Champagne yet. I have one in the fridge now, but I may pick up something else that I haven't tried before. I LOVE real French Champagne!5rl09rg521ia.jpg
    zmeqpdzuzmia.jpg
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Just hanging out at home with dh and dd.
    We don't have a traditional New Year meal.
    This year the plan is deviled eggs, Chicago dogs, cheeseburger sliders, roast potato wedges, jello with marshmallows.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I'm going to smoke a pork butt and we'll have black eye peas like any good southerner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    scotch...and my buddy and his wife will have out a lot of finger food type stuff for NYE. We don't really do much NYD, it's never been a traditional eating holiday for me...likely some wings and football.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Buffet tomorrow night and the calories will be atrocious, then a lamb dinner on the 1st with all the trimmings and loads of wine.

Roll on the 2nd to start too cut!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    New Years Eve? Still deciding. We have young kids so whatever we do will be low key. We may go to some friends house or order pizza, watch football and play board games. One year we did a crab boil but the kids were not as impressed with it as I hoped they would be.

New Years Day we have my husband's family over for his dad's bday. We have chili, appetizers, White Castle and watch football. It's one of my favorite days of the year!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My sweet grandma, who's family is German, told me, "We always have pork on New Years Eve because cows and chickens scratch backward but pigs root forward, so pork takes you into the new year!"

So traditional pork loin with sourkraut for me!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No idea yet for tomorrow. We aren't doing anything anyway. Usually it's nachos and a cheese ball. New Year's Day is smoked sausage, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Black eyed peas is definite. Not sure about everything else.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    We're not doing anything fancy. My husband wants to do mushu pork (spelling? lol). So that's what we're having. Probably no dessert either. And I'll probably be in bed by 10pm as usual (I'm pathetic, I know!).
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    lucky black-eyed pea soup
    1 c chopped green, yellow , and or red bell peppers
    1 c chopped onion
    1 c finely chopped celery
    1 c chicken broth - low sodium, (beef broth can be substituted)
    1 16 oz can black-eyed peas( 2 cups fresh peas _ cooking directions for that below)
    2 c chopped tomatoes ( fresh or canned_ include juice)
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    dash of black pepper
    Direction for stovetop
    1. heat soup pot 2 tbs of olive oil. Saute celery,peppers, and onion until soft.
    2. add broth, tomatoes, and black-eyed peas ( canned or cooked fresh) Season with Worcestershire sauce and black pepper to taste.
    3. simmer for 45 min. to an hour stirring occasionally
    4. make 4-6 servings.
    5. serve hot with corn bread or other favorite homemade bread.
    Directions for slow cooker
    1. heat skillet on stovetop with 2 tbs of olive oil. Saute celery,pepper, and onion until soft.
    2. turn slow cooker/crock pot to high setting. Pour broth, tomatoes, and black-eyed peas ( canned or cooked fresh) into pot.
    3. add sauteed celery, peppers, and onion.
    4. season with Worcestershire sauce and black pepper to taste.
    5. cook on high for 4-6 hrs ( for a thicker, chowder like texture) or low for 6-8 hrs. stir occasionally.
    6. makes 4-6 servings
    7. serve hot with corn bread or other favorite homemade bread.
    Cooking fresh black-eyed peas
    1. cook them first to soften them before adding to the soup.
    2. cover the 16 oz of black-eyed peas with water in a pan on the stovetop, and simmer covered for 20 min.
    3. no additional flavoring is needed for the peas, because the final soup mixture will be bursting with flavor.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,645 Member
    Options
    Dinner at the neighbours who also didn't get a traditional Christmas dinner, either. My excuse is having a friend over who is crazy about Spain so we had tapas for Christmas lunch/dinner. Her excuse is that they did Christmas with her family who is Vietnamese.

So we will have roast turkey, stuffing, gravy, hasselback potatoes and whatever veg sides the hostess thinks up. Bringing coffee granita and whipped cream for dessert.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I work New Year's Eve. I sincerely doubt I will have any breaks so dinner with be squeezable yogurt, squeezable apple sauce, some cheese sticks and other various to go items.