Full Cleans

Options
Anybody here do cleans and/or power cleans? I've been working on my technique and I still have the horrible habit of trying to use my arms when the weight gets heavy. When I do drills at lower weights, I don't have this problem, but as soon as I get close to my max, my technique goes to pot.

Any suggestions on how to overcome the habit?

Replies

• BethM1015
    BethM1015 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have you tried one of those apps that show bar path? Or had someone record a video of both higher and lower weight cleans to figure out the difference?
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Go to BarbellShrugged.com and look at their videos. They have a bunch on there that helped me tremendously.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Look up clean and power clean progressions. Break the exercise into steps and drill the steps until you fix the issue.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If you aren't already, work on your hang cleans. They will get you into that pattern of proper extension of the hips versus relying heavily on your arms.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    We just worked on them today in CrossFit class as part of our strength work. I've been working on form since I started almost 5 months ago and I'm still not where I want to be. There are so many small things to worry about getting right it's ridiculous.

I like the idea of doing hang cleans. I try to start from this position, then break the movement into parts. So from a hang clean, work on having the bar "ride your thighs" as you shrug the bar. That's the part I had a hard time with. My coach was telling me this morning, you can probably shrug 300+ pounds, so just make sure you are shrugging what you have on the bar now. So I go from hang clean to the shrug a few times to get the motion (your shoulders and body needs to be behind the bar as if you're falling backwards (a bit). Another key I've used is thinking of throwing the bar back over your head. The part I have a hard time with is then getting my elbows quickly under the bar and high at the same time squatting under the bar. I've been working on the bad habit of having weight on my toes not heels.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Hang cleans and rack cleans.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Rack Cleans...are those the same as Rack Pulls? We do those to help with deadlifts. Are more like Clean Pulls?

Clean Pulls could help too....that's going from the hang position to just the shrug up on toes part.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Rack Cleans...are those the same as Rack Pulls? We do those to help with deadlifts. Are more like Clean Pulls?

Clean Pulls could help too....that's going from the hang position to just the shrug up on toes part.

Rack cleans are like rack pulls. Rack pull is basically a deadlift from a higher position than the ground. A rack clean is a clean from a higher position than the ground. Both of those are from a dead stop and around knee height. It's the latter half of the movement, the clean pull is the first half.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Go to BarbellShrugged.com and look at their videos. They have a bunch on there that helped me tremendously.

Agree with that.

Yes, I do them, and I have the same issue of not trusting my legs and wanting to use my arms, which is silly because my legs are much stronger. I did find the BarbellShrugged videos helpful.