How do you 'decrystalize' honey?

Options
My_Butt
My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
My honey bear is solid as a rock. What's the best way to make the honey runny again. Haha...

I've heard letting him soak in hot water works, and I know microwaving him does not work... That's how the last honey bear left us. May he R.I.P.

He'll be soaking in his hot bath until a better idea pops up.

Replies

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I usually just microwave it a few seconds at a time.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Be careful when you microwave honey. It heats up REALLY fast.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    I have heated it in the microwave. I get my honey locally from a friend who keeps bees and that is what she told me to do. I think heating it in a bowl of hot water would work too.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Yeah heating in the boiling water is a much safer idea than microwaving......just keep topping up with fresh water till all the crystals are gone and your golden.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I run under hot water and turn the bottle. It usually works.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Soak in hot water
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I put my bottle in a pan of simmering water until it totally liquefies.
    Make sure you take the cover off of the jar or bottle while it is in the simmering water.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Heat, time, perhaps dilution with a bit of water. As the time part is important a microwave is probably the wrong tool.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My husband and I keep bees. Our honey is just strained without heat, so it crystallizes really fast. There's nothing wrong with it in the crystallized state, but if you need it to be liquid heat a pot of water to simmering, take it off the stove and put your open jar in the pot for about 30 minutes.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I gave up on honey bears and use a wide mouth jar. Even when it is crystallized I can get a spoonful out for my tea.
  • My_Butt
    Options
    My husband and I keep bees. Our honey is just strained without heat, so it crystallizes really fast. There's nothing wrong with it in the crystallized state, but if you need it to be liquid heat a pot of water to simmering, take it off the stove and put your open jar in the pot for about 30 minutes.

I was using a knife to just scrape it on toast, but my little bear has crevices that are holding onto the honey. I have a giant refill jar in the cupboard that never crystallizes, but I like honey bear cause he's aesthetically pleasing.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I gave up on honey bears and use a wide mouth jar. Even when it is crystallized I can get a spoonful out for my tea.

This is great. I think I'll decrystalize mine and empty it into a little ziplock Tupperware container. I store mine up side down for easy access but my building is poorly insulated and the whole thing just looks frozen solid. I actually drizzle honey over fruit, so this was really starting to affect my preferred diet...
  • My_Butt
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

This is great. I think I'll decrystalize mine and empty it into a little ziplock Tupperware container. I store mine up side down for easy access but my building is poorly insulated and the whole thing just looks frozen solid. I actually drizzle honey over fruit, so this was really starting to affect my preferred diet...

I've noticed that my refill container that I store in the pantry has never crystallized, while the honey bear that is out on the counter is solid as a honeycomb. Not sure what the difference is, but mr bear is gonna be in the pantry once I get my honey smooth.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »

I've noticed that my refill container that I store in the pantry has never crystallized, while the honey bear that is out on the counter is solid as a honeycomb. Not sure what the difference is, but mr bear is gonna be in the pantry once I get my honey smooth.

Is it the thickness of the container? My beehive shaped honey is thicker than my honey bear. The honey bear crystallizes when the temperature of my cupboards change.
  • My_Butt
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    My_Butt wrote: »

Is it the thickness of the container? My beehive shaped honey is thicker than my honey bear. The honey bear crystallizes when the temperature of my cupboards change.

I have a little orange blossom honey container and a giant clover honey container. Both are about the same thickness plastic as honey bear.
  • My_Butt
    Options

I've seen this on Facebook. Luckily, I live close to the country that I can go to farms and get honey. I just refill honey bear with my real honey because he's cute.

I like going to the farms here in Ohio (walnut creek) because they have different types of honeys. I tried a really dark one that tasted amazing. I don't remember what that one was called.