FitBit Worth the Price?

Options
(( I would like to apologize right off the bat if this is in the wrong forum!))

I keep looking at fitbits I am wondering if it is worth it. The models I am looking at are the flex and the charge. I am leaning more toward the flex since it is cheaper and I am not worried about having a clock or a call notification. My main concern is the water resistance I was dishes where I work so I am worried that it will get ruined even if it comes with a warranty.

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about water damage maybe look into either the One or the Zip. Both of those are clip ons and may be a better option. The One has all of the same features as the Flex and the Zip has a few less features (it doesn't track stairs or sleep) but still does a great job with counting steps and calorie burn.
  • Twinkle_Fitness
    Twinkle_Fitness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I did think about those only thing I am worried about if I were to get one of those that I would forget to put it on haha I am rather forgetful
  • AbbyACampbell
    AbbyACampbell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and wore it in the shower for about an hour and it didnt seem to have adverse affects but I did find some clip on type things for the flex on amazon that you could use to put it on a collar or sleeve while you workhttp://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Compatible-Bracelet-Monitor-Wristband/dp/B00S7MY7P2/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1451531459&sr=8-20&keywords=fitbit+flex
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Save your money! I had a Fitbit Flex - I found it to be so inaccurate that I gave up and tossed it. A total waste of $100. It didn't count steps unless you were swinging your arm (try carrying a toddler, groceries, shopping with a cart,etc. and swing your arm at the same time - doesn't work), it didn't measure stairs well either (I walk stairs, not run them). The only positive - it did remind me to move.
  • lizetrombley
    lizetrombley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit hr and LOVE it, have lost 20 pounds in 2 months by logging on mfp but following fitbit for calories in and calories out ...
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should consider a Fitbit One instead? I use it because I don't like watches, so I just carry it around in my pocket. Had it almost 18 months now and it works great. I'm very pleased with it.
  • cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have the charge hr- I've had it since April and love it. It's not 100% accurate on steps but does accurately estimate calorie burn (have been able to lose from April-sept and maintain since sept using its calorie burn estimates) and it gets me moving. When it is evening and I see I have less steps than usual, I can generally convince myself to get to the gym or walking outside rather than veg on the couch. I like the competition and motivation it gives me. So for me, it was worth every penny.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I had a Flex and mine was one of the older models that could be worn in water. I loved it! The calorie burn was reasonably accurate, the step count was very accurate, and it did encourage me to keep going. As the battery wore down, I decided to replace it with a Garmin Vivofit2 which has the same features but can be worn in water, unlike the newer models of fitbit. They are pretty much the same price.
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've had my Charge HR since July 31st and I absolutely love it.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I switched from a One to a ChargeHR in June or July and haven't had issues from washing the dishes. When I'm at home, I wash frequently- after every meal, after someone cooks, etc- sometimes without gloves (my hands hate me afterward).
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    . My main concern is the water resistance I was dishes where I work so I am worried that it will get ruined even if it comes with a warranty.

Not a concern at all (Charge HR) unless you're working with some super high pressure water or something. Thing is easily showerproof, in fact in tests it's waterproof to 50m.

Yes, yes, I know they don't technically claim this and you probably couldn't get warranty if there was water damage, however several friends have had theirs for 6+ months now and shower with it everyday and have no problems. No problems on mine with 6 days of showering and one swim.

• sierratx
    sierratx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the zip and adore it! I am a jewelry designer and didn't want anything on my wrist besides my own work so went with the clip option. I clip it to my waist band or neck line under my hair. I've also clipped it to an elastic and worn it on my wrist around the house and have clipped it to a chain and worn it around my neck. All worked great. I don't care about the sleep part and live in an oddly stairless world so I do not miss those factors at all. Some colors are on sale at Amazon right now for $50. Not bad!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I downgraded from a flex to a zip for convenience and bracelets

I'd strongly recommend it IF you wear it consistently, set it up properly and accurately log your food intake

I don't like the HR versions as I find them pointless so I'd avoid spending that much tbh
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    sierratx wrote: »
    I have the zip and adore it! I am a jewelry designer and didn't want anything on my wrist besides my own work so went with the clip option. I clip it to my waist band or neck line under my hair. I've also clipped it to an elastic and worn it on my wrist around the house and have clipped it to a chain and worn it around my neck. All worked great. I don't care about the sleep part and live in an oddly stairless world so I do not miss those factors at all. Some colors are on sale at Amazon right now for $50. Not bad!

When I don't have a pocket or waistband I just clip the zip into my bra and it's unobtrusive
  • allipops26
    allipops26 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit One and it sits nicely between my boobs on my bra. no one can see it and I cant feel it being there.
    At least it wont get wet there! unless I go into a wet tee-shirt competition and at my age I think that is highly unlikely!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    allipops26 wrote: »
    I have the fitbit One and it sits nicely between my boobs on my bra. no one can see it and I cant feel it being there.
    At least it wont get wet there! unless I go into a wet tee-shirt competition and at my age I think that is highly unlikely!!!

Never give up. Never surrender. ;)
  • amethyst1973
    amethyst1973 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the charge hr and I love it. I don't know how accurate the steps are but that doesn't really matter, it is getting me moving more. I go for a walk at least once a day in order to get to 10,000 steps and even if the step counter is out by a little bit I am still moving.
  • pauline0447
    pauline0447 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit Zip and find it brilliant i clip it in my bra mostly and it is safe.It does everything i need and is the cheapest option!!!.It does not measure sleep but i cant see the point of that anyway . When i go up steps it measures each one as a step............dont see the point in knowing how many flights of stairs i have done!!!!!but i am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong. It does not recharge like some of the more expensive ones but i have had mine nearly a year now and have only changed the battery twice and they are not too expensive. Yes it is a glorified pedometer but I have found it very accurate and it syncs with my phone app and MFP and WW so for what i paid i am very happy.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and I love it. I have worn watches for years (I work in a school so I can't "check my phone" all the time, even if all I'm doing is checking the time) so I'm used to it; the call notification is also a nice touch as my phone is pretty my always on silent (again, because of school).

But the reason I got this particular one is for the HR, which really does help with a more accurate calorie burn. It's not 100% accurate, but I don't think any similar products are (you'd need one of those bands around your chest for that, I think) but it's very accurate indeed. I'm not sure how much it goes for where you live, but if you're thinking about getting one then it's at least a financial possibility and I'd say worth it -- if you use it as the tool it is.

Good luck!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex and I love it to pieces, to me it has been worth every single penny. It syncs well with MFP and other applications, and I love the various challenges you can enter into through the app. To have that little bit extra competitiveness and support to me has been really good for my fitness. The sleep tracker has shown me that I am not a nutter, and that yes my sleep is that bad, but most of all, it has increased my motivation to do more exercises. I shower with mine daily with no ill effect.

Before investing in one, I suggest you make a list over what functionalities you really need and take it from there. I wanted the Flex for example because of the sleep tracking as I am a notorious bad sleeper, if not I would have gone for a cheaper option.